Do You Have A Roon Fallback Plan - Options / Alternatives

I’m still running Logitech Media Server alongside Roon, pointed to the same music library.

4 Likes

Also, just thought I’d mention that amid the brutal 1-day arctic vortex (below -10F pre-wind-chill when I woke up) here in the northeast of the US, we are having an internet outage, and luckily not yet a power outage. Happily spinning records. Haven’t yet got out the volumio image, but if this lasts another 6 hours I might.

(oh, and I should mention that Roon was working fine playing from my local library for the 1 complete album I played after I noticed the internet was out and started up Roon to see what would happen, but I decided to use the excuse to spin vinyl 'cause it’s fun to have an excuse)

Hope all are well!

2 Likes

Interesting… are you saying that you could launch the Roon app and start playing local music when you had no internet service?

Yes, I’m saying that once the internet was cut off (I had been watching a game on youtubetv, so only noticed when that got cut off), I went to Roon and tried to play an album (Solo Monk), it started fine, I played until the end of that album, and after it finished i turned it off and started playing vinyl (Ella in Berlin was the first thing I grabbed).

It’s an easy thing to test, just go unplug your internet connection from the wall and see how you get on. I think that the actual situation will likely often be better than the “we guarantee zero” but is probably highly variable and might sometimes be zero. So it was nice to have a fallback plan, but in this particular case I (a) didn’t need it, and (b) fell back to a totally different solution. Just funny to watch what you actually do vs what you plan to do.

Have a great weekend all!

1 Like

Hmmm… I tested this a few months back. After I disconnected my router from the internet, when I attempted to access Roon (launching the app), I would get the message that it couldn’t connect to Roon Core. Since that was pretty much what I was expecting, I gave up on the test.

After your post, I just tried it again. I got the same results - initially - but after maybe 10-15 seconds Roon did come up and I was able to play a local album - even though there was no internet. That surprised me. Perhaps if I had left the app open, there wouldn’t even have been a msg trying to find Roon Core. In any event, my wife then yelled that the internet was out - failed to tell her what I was doing - so I reconnected it. Next time I try (when she’s not home :wink: I’ll cue up a couple albums and see just how long it will go.

Hey, I understand why Roon won’t guarantee any length of time, but this was a nice surprise since when we do occasionally see an internet outage, it’s usually just for a short period of time.

Whether it’s a minute or an hour, it doesn’t mean anything. Zero guarantee means just that. If you want to be able to steam locally without Internet, you need a fallback plan.

@Marian, you are absolutely correct. But if I find my internet out with no idea how long it will be out, the simplest first step is to try to stream local music through Roon.

For me, a more robust fallback would be a fallback internet scheme - perhaps using a hotspot somehow - rather than a secondary music system. My hope is to keep the fallback as simple as possible. Currently googling to find routers that may enable a USB-connected phone as hotspot. Would love to hear from others that have any experience with that.

That might just turn out to be an exercise in frustration.

You can use an LMS server over the same collection and Squeezebox streamers, which work with both LMS and Roon. It’s not really a secondary system per se.

1 Like

I recommend people use cellular data and/or use Roon 1.8 Legacy or Audirvana Origin or a combination of all three.

LMS is also free, which works for people (like me) who don’t want to pay for triple redundancy. It’s just a fallback.

Audirvana Origin is free…after you pay $120 for a lifetime license.

I can’t wrap my head around “free after you pay”.

2 Likes

I came from LMS and Squeezeboxes before I bought into Roon back in 2015. But, at present, only one (of 5) of my endpoints is a Squeezebox and my Ropiee endpoints would have to be reconfigured to work so that would definitely limit and complicate how I would use it. Still, it is a viable option and one I’ve considered. However, having a fallback internet would not only let Roon ride thru an internet outage (well, hopefully), it would keep a number of other things in my home working as well. Amazing how many gizmos rely on the internet these days.

Ain’t that the truth… I’ve filled my house with HomeKit lightbulbs, only to discover I can’t locally control them without active internet.

But you can control them from anywhere. You can forget them on when you go on your month long vacation.

Not if he disconnected his Internet before he left :flushed:

I would fall back to MPD (Music Player Daemon and Rigelian controller for music and My home automation (Homeseer) doesn’t require internet to function.

1 Like

Would JPLAY be an alternative?

It says: “Instantly works with nearly every streamer or network DAC on the market - no core needed!”

Not quit sure who it works

Torben

I’m looking at Volumio, I’ve been hearing good things about the latest version. Any experience here?

Expanding on my “fallback plan” a little, I purchased a used Mac Mini (thanks @7NoteScale) and will use it along with Splashtop ($16.99) to reboot my Nucleus when needed. I should be able to also install Roon and use it to restore Tidal and Qobuz on the Nucleus when/if they lose contact. Thanks for the idea @Rugby.

I should add, this is for when away from home if that isn’t obvious.

EDIT: Done and “works a treat” as some of you would say.
EDIT: I also installed the free AT&T Smart Home Manager app on my iPhone so I can reboot my router over the internet.

1 Like