Do you still listen to analogue source?

I have a VPI Prime turntable and use it weekly. I do believe that sound quality is superior to my digital setup. The convenience and interface of Roon digital exceeds my analog experience overall.

I find that Iā€™m now listening to more analogue (LP) than digital at home - which is altogether nowhere near as much as I used to :frowning:

Iā€™m one of those freaks who does enjoy the ceremony, even the fun of getting the cartridge alignment ā€œjust soā€.

1 Like

Ian we are not OCD either, CDO maybe, which is almost the same but the letters are in alphabetical order :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

No. I donā€™t actually have anything analogue left that is in use. Turntable went to eBay in the early 90s. I find the current vinyl revival highly amusing. As @Sallah_48 pointed out, it always was a terrible way to reproduce music. Once I got my hands on a cd player in the 80s, that was it.
That reminds me, I have a lovely top of the line Pioneer FM tuner that needs eBayingā€¦

Pretty much the same for me. My son is twenty-three and only buys vinyl or streams Spotify now. For Christmas we buy each other an LP ā€¦ trying to outdo each other on wackiness. Roon really helps on that score.

1 Like

I still love tweaking my analogue setup. I only recently had MC cartridge so.playing around with loading and my.phono stage. Buying some high grade resistorā€™s they make such a difference I never thought possible. So.im about 30-70 analogue to digital at the moment.

Also most of mine ar about 30-25 years and for the most part still sound great. Only the first album I ever had from 1979 is what I would call knackered. I have worn a few out snd had rebuy on CD. Hopefully all my digital purchases will still be able to be played after the same length.of time.

I have two CDs that have failed. The Joshua Tree (1987) and The Best of Van Morrison (1990.) The latter still plays and I managed to get a perfect rip from it. They have pin holes in the foil, and unlike most of my collection this has a bronze tint.

I just recently got my TT and phono preamp out of storage and bought a cheap stand for it. I also selected about 150 LPs out of the 1000 in storage. The preamp developed a bad channel from being ignored for 8 years, so a new one is on the way. It remains to be seen how much vinyl Iā€™ll actually play. Digital is so much easier! For the time being Iā€™ve promised myself I wonā€™t buy any new vinyl, just play what Iā€™ve already got.
BTW the table is a Kenwood ā€œconcreteā€ KD-550 that I mounted a Linn arm to. I didnā€™t pay anything for either, so itā€™s worth every penny! The cartridge is an Ortofon MC I got a good deal on 15 years ago.

When I moved to South Africa from the UK 22 years ago the moving man said we were over capacity in the container

Thatā€™s when I stopped vinyl

I went medialess 8 years ago. I have no vinyl, no cds no books even

No matter how kind you are to vinyl trying to keep them scratchless is a mission I donā€™t miss them all 5 meters of them. I understand some people can tell the difference I suspect at 67 I am not one of them

Mike

1 Like

Iā€™m sure you can still hear the snap, crackle and pop! :smile: The best part of vinyl is the cover ā€¦ and Roon has gone a good way to replacing that experience ā€¦ not quite but good enough to only dust off a disk once or twice a month.

40+ plus years ago, when records were so thin and being made from reclaimed vinyl, I processed my audio stream thru a click and pop machine and thru a machine that removed background hiss. One had to try that to get any kind a listenable sound. Didnā€™t work very well and CDs were a revelation.

I see now there are click and pop machines back on the market for $1500, probably still donā€™t work.

1 Like

I do. I am a big fan of Roon, both for my uploaded CDs/SACDs, hi-rez downloads, and my Tidal library. But for the best (to me), I prefer RTR and vinyl. RTR is the ultimate source (that I have ever heard) exceeding both vinyl and digital. But, lots of material isnā€™t available on RTR and it is all very expensive. If a RTR album isnā€™t in my collection, I go to vinyl for that presence and pace that I miss in most digital. I couldnā€™t do without digital though, it is great for less critical listening, background music, and to discover and audition new albums.

By the way, I have an ultrasonic record cleaner - those clicks and pops are a thing of the past. You can buy one for a few hundred dollars

Presence is to a large extent kit in my min

I my hay day I played vinyl Linn Sondeck LP12 Quad 44 Quad 405 Quad ESL 63 a very natural sound. When I went full CD I chose a Linn Karik CD the sound barely changed

There were a lot of very rough sounding CD players around in the late 80s

Mike

1 Like

Yea itā€™s funny, isnā€™t it. I got my old records out of storage about a year ago (Thanks Dad!) and itā€™s strange when you relisten to something from 20+ years ago that you remember where every single scratch and pressing fault is.

Indeed there are some tracks which I listen to in Roon where my brain re-inserts the missing scratchesā€¦

2 Likes

I know exactly what you mean. I have a copy of ABCā€™s Lexicon of Love and side one ended in a loop (Valentineā€™s Day with the lyric Fred Estaire ā€¦ Estaire ā€¦ Estaire ā€¦) It was years later I discovered it was a problem with the vinyl.

Funny how vinylā€™s outstripping digital sales now.

1 Like

I still have that Ablum too classic. Plays fine on mine.

I inherited one of my motherā€™s Ella Fitzgerald albums and was amazed on hearing a different copy to hear a heretofore hidden verse, the click was actually a big jump. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think I prefer my flawed version on the track ā€¦ with my imagined ā€œinner grove.ā€

I have not owned a turntable for over 28 years, and I donā€™t currently own any vinyl records. I do feel that Iā€™m missing out on some great listening experiences as a result of being all digital. There are many really great sounding recordings that only exist on vinyl. The corresponding CD masters are all too often compressed or otherwise poorly mastered.

I remain hopeful that all of the best masters will eventually make it to the digital format, either by being re-released from the studios or just in the form of high-quality recordings made from the best remaining vinyl copies in cases where the master tapes are no longer viable. In the meantime, if one wishes to hear the best available master, itā€™s sometimes necessary to pull out the vinyl.

I would consider purchasing a turntable if there was some way to route the output through Roon Core for processing. Iā€™m particularly interested in DSP convolution for room correction, but I would also want to do RIAA EQ digitally. For example, a Channel D Seta Piccola linear phono stage connected to a Lynx HiLo ADC/DAC. This would be pretty cool since I could also play vinyl into multiple Roon zones. Someday, perhapsā€¦