Docker images for Roon [Please Note: Using Dockers and VMs isn't supported by Roon]

Thanks for replies. I can confirm no audio analysis data was lost when I was killing the docker instances. Also I was definitely having system problems even without dockerized roon:

• I reinstalled my system in order to move docker and roon away from the root filesystem, and then I could not start Steef’s roon docker at all (it could not start the roon instance). Troubleshooting a docker that can’t start the app could be easier.

• Finally I gave up on docker and decided to install roon directly on my system. I noticed the roon performance was slightly better without docker, but there were still serious issues. My ipad and iPhone did not show up at roon’s audio menu, and eventually I found out the cause was something used up my inotify watches. The fix in that link immediately returned my audio devices. I think that could also fix my docker issues, but I did not yet reinstall my system to confirm.

• I am also wondering what caused my latest roon backup to have failed when I was using dockerized roon, but luckily the previous backup did restore without error. I think a failure to restore from backup should create some alarm before the user meets any need to use that backup. Could roon be cabable of testing whether the backup is working before it is needed?

To get back to the docker discussion, I feel it would be ideal if roon could supply a limited but functional stress-testing docker to expose the system limitations without extensive user testing and troubleshooting. That check script that comes with the linux installer is great, but certainly it isn’t thorough.

I’m a bit uneasy with letting roon run on my system without any isolation before making a purchase decision. There are many things that I need to test, because I hate the idea of having to maintain a dedicated windows box just for roon’s requirements (I think that is the recommended way for ever growing collection). If a windows box is the only way I can make roon work, I’m afraid it reduces roon’s value proposition dramatically. A separate linux box (or ROCK) seems kind of silly when I have 2 linux servers with spare capacity.

3 Likes

New to Roon and curious if Roon Labs has released an official docker or if we should use @Steef_de_Bruijn or @mikedickey image? Running unRAID and rather not have to stand up a VM to run core or deal with waking my Macbook from sleep inorder to listen to music.

1 Like

I’ve been using @Steef_de_Bruijn’s docker image on unRAID for some time now without issues. Docker runs fine and updates itself when needed (I’m using “CA Auto Update Applications” plugin for automatic updates).

2 Likes

With all this new software and all… just updated the docker image to base image debian:9.6. Old version still available as tag debian:9.0.

No other changes.

Greetings
Steef

3 Likes

Much appreciated Steef. Works like a charm on unraid 6.6.6!

1 Like

On unRAID 6.6.7-rc1 too! :wink:

Best regards,
Maciej

1 Like

Hi everybody,

I’ve created a pull request to Steef_de_Bruijn’s GitHub repository providing support for docker-compose. Please give it a try and provide some feedback.

==> https://github.com/steefdebruijn/docker-roonserver/pull/3

I’ve tried hard but I could never get a DSP working when running Roon in a Docker container. Is there anybody else having the same issue. I’m currently running Roon in a trial period. Could that be the root cause for not being able to access DSP functions?

No the trial is the full version. What hardware are you trying to run Roon on?

This is client specific. Generally small display remotes like phones and some tablets (UI in portrait mode) are missing the DSP settings a.f.a.i.k.

But how do I control the DSP settings using Android phones or Linux machines. I do not have a MAC nor Windows machine.

Use WINE to run the Windows version. Here are the forum threads that discuss this working solution:

I hope this helps to get you started.

@Christophe_Beuille @maciekb sorry to bother you both, but could one of you post a screenshot of your unraid Roon docker configuration?

I am having real trouble with mine and suspect I’m missing something stupid.

Mine works fine until I reboot unraid, at which point the core just seems to get wiped out. The folders are there but no data.

I tried to restore from backup and although it said successful, it just keeps ‘waiting for core’

I’m running the latest stable version of unraid (6.5.something)

I’m mapping the library and app data to an ssd cache drive, to a folder that contains other dockers (and does not get moved).

Any help greatly appreciated.

Hi BenniMac,

I do not use anymore the docker image provided by Steef. I have build my config from another image (ronch/roon-server) but the settings should be equivalent.

Hope it helps,

Regards, Christophe

1 Like

Thanks Christophe, I really appreciate it. Although your Unraid UI looks different to mine, the configuration looks the same. Attached is mine, can you spot anything different or incorrect?

I too am using the ronch/roon-server image.

@BenniMac, you’re pointing everything to the same, identical, folder, presumably on your cache drive, but I can’t be sure from here.

try pointing /music to where your music is :wink:

Thanks @Xekomi for your assistance. I was just importing music from my music server once the container was ready, via Roon. Could this be the issue? I will experiment and see what happens if I map it across as I probably should have in the first place.

It’s entirely possible that it was saturating your cache drive :wink: - so do check for that. Also, make absolutely sure you are using a cache drive for /opt/ and /var/roon, you’ll really regret it otherwise.

What you’d probably want to do in terms of importing is designate a user share, map that as the /music folder to the docker, copy the stuff over, and only then launch the docker, and let it run overnight to index and grab the metadata it needs. If it fails, Roon won’t have touched your files anyway, so it isn’t a loss of time.

Hmmm, still having trouble. Even if I add nothing. Close Roon, restart the server, it’s gone when it comes back up, even though the docker is running. One thing I noticed, when I look at Docker allocations after reboot, next to port is has ???

Does this provide any clues?

Also, @Xekomi the reason I have been adding my music files via Roon, after the container has been setup, is because I have them on another Unraid server which just serves music, so I don’t have access to them as a share from the roon server, if that makes sense.