Documentation of differences between Roon and Essentials

just answering my own question should someone happen to read this thread:

The Argon Solo was updated and now shows up/operates as Roon Ready Device/Endpoint with the Elac Discovery Server running Roon Essentials.

Very happy with the result.

2 Likes

I own the Elac Discovery since a 2 years. The support is almost null. It took them 1-2 months to fix this issue with the Tidal login.
I had my tablet upgraded to a new android version and it wouldn’t work anymore. Took me hours to find a way to downgrade my samsung tablet. Forgot the version of android, but it only works with older android versions.
I have around 5000 songs in different playlists, the device freezes about every 1-2hours for a few minutes, then continues with playing again. Every few days I need to reboot it as it just doesn’t play music or doesn’t find aynthing anymore.
I just bought a NUC and going to move everything to ROCK. I really am looking forward to play longer than 30min of music without a freeze.
Otherwise nice little device for a good price.

I really get ticked off when Roon says Essentials is owned by Elac and they have no control over it. Go to App Store and check who the developer for Essentials is; you guessed it right, ROON LABS! They just don’t want to deal with a failed partnership/future plans including Essentials to other brands other than Elac. It is very easy to throw the ball to Elac’s court.

I think Essentials would be perfect for me if it had the Radio option not limited to my library only. Since I only do Tidal, I couldn’t care less the other features.

1 Like

Hi, yes agree that Elac is not supporting their product well enough (e.g. Roon Essentials app not working on MacOS Monterey and Ventura).

With regards to the Radio option and Tidal: Though limited to your library you can add a lot of Tidal content via ‘batch’ by making Tidal playlists your favourites in the Tidal app itself. Those playlists will subsequently be added to your content visible to Roon Essentials. Roon Radio will eventually pick all those songs as long as you keep the list stable in the Tidal app. Any change to my or other playlists in the Tidal App or single favourite and downloaded songs will be updated in Roon Essentials as well.

You may then make those playlists or individual songs your favourites in Roon Essentials again for Roon Essential Radio to work better.

Thanks for the tips.

Just so you know, Roon is supposed to do all those updates to Essentials to make it work with newer OS, not Elac. Does Roon care? Nope!

Help me/us to understand why and how we can claim responsibility to Roon?

(I believe to remember, that Roon and Elac made it very clear in the early days of the collaboration that Elac will be responsible for anything Roon Essentials (also claimed here in this forum).

With that regard Elac is not doing their job.

As a customer owning an Elac Z3, the Elac Discovery server and some active Elac floor speakers I will probably stay clear of their products in future. Even though I am currently only dissatisfied with the missing update of the MacOS App it does not bode well for their SW maintenance policy)

There was a problem three years ago with Essential not working at all at any platform because of some updates. I contacted Elac and they told me they notified Roon technical support to solve the issue and Roon support updated and fixed the the problem. That’s how I know. If you look at the developer of the Essentials, it clearly says Roon. No where Elac’s name is mentioned.

Developer yes but they aren’t the owner of the product. It’s up to Elac to invest in those updates. It’s not the same product so Roon has to produce a special version that Elac as their partner has presumably to pay for.
It’s always been an Elac product from day one and Elac is the company to stir up to close the feature gap. IMHO it was always an unsustainable model as they gave it away with their hardware and then never make any more money from it.

2 Likes

Thanks for the clarification but still it is a failed collaboration that affected the owners. You pay
$1100 for a product because they offer Essentials but then they stop the support.

1 Like

I also have an ELAC Roon Essentials Server and I want to change to the full featured roon system, so my questions:
1.) Is it possible to use the Elac Discovery as a roon server (not the essential version!)? Means, installing the roon over the roon essentials by getting a new roon license, or do I need also a different core?
Thanks!