Does bi-wiring matter?

The recommended is to separate everything.

However, you’re using two “computers” here. If possible… try both and see what one gives you better results. I get better results with a Pi 4 than both of your current options. A Pi 4 2 or 4GB with a nice passive case like the Neo should outperform both of your current options. The problem with the Macs is there is always something else on the USB HUB in the machine (keyboard, mouse, camera, etc.) so its just not a very clean USB set-up. In fact, on some of my Macs I notice a sound quality difference between the USB ports. Just experiment but think about a dedicated streamer.

1 Like

Since my Mac mini used as core is headless, has nothing plugged into its USB ports (apart from a seldom used CD ripper) and is closer to the amp/DAC, I am gonna stick with it unless there is a clear SQ reason not to.

In any case, I can just change from Mac mini to iMac with a simple USB connection swap.

You’d be surprised. Apple → About this Mac → USB
This will list all the hubs (buses) on the system and what is plugged into them. Anyway, you can try different ports and see where the DAC ends up from this display as well.

Options are a good thing. Let us know how it turns out.

That’s exactly what I bought the headless Mac mini for - it has no use other than hosting my Roon core.

Ricardo I know Roon recommend to separate them, but also seen plenty of people run them off a Core. I have done both with little difference.
When I have run it from the Core I have generally used a Jitterbug on the back of the USB port to remove any noise and a decent mid priced USB cable. It has worked really well.

This document explores the REAL science and dispels the myths:

3 Likes