Does Core use WakeOnLan to wake Client machines?

Roon Core Machine

Windows 10 Pro 64bit
(Client machine is Windows 11 Pro 64bit)

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Client and core on Ethernet

Connected Audio Devices

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

If I have WakeOnLan enabled on the client machine and I put it to sleep while Roon is running, it wakes back up after a few seconds. This doesn’t happen if

• I first close Roon app and then put machine to sleep, or
  • I disable WakeOnLan.

There is no core running on client and the only audio device that is enabled (WASAPI exclusive) is set up as a private zone, so I see no reason core would need the client up and running. Also, at the time of sleep, nothing is playing anywhere. I understand the need to wake up core, but why the other way around?

Hey @Marian,

Thank you for getting in touch about this. I’m happy to help.

Quick question, is this still happening on Build 918? If so, can you recreate this behavior and note your local time when this occurs. I’ll grab logs from our side and see if there’s any clues we can find there.

Thanks!

Hi @Jamie, thanks for looking into this. I was starting to think this fell through the cracks.

Yes, it’s still happening. This is what I did. All times are UTC on 3/17:

• 05:35: Put computer to sleep with Roon client running and and WoL on and it restarted after a second or so.
  • 05:45: Put computer to sleep again a few seconds after closing Roon client and it restarted again almost immediately. I guess Core didn’t get the message yet that client wasn’t running anymore.
  • 05:47: Without restarting Roon client, put computer to sleep and it didn’t restart anymore. I restarted manually after 2 minutes.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need anything else.

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.