Does DietPi actually sound better than Ropiee?

Saw some recent comments and was wondering if that was the case?

Install it and see is the only way to know, for you.

Fantastic advice.

It’s the internet, everyone will have an opinion on which is better. If you look at any of the “which is better” threads about anything on here there is just aggravation…:expressionless:

I’ve tried both several times over the last few years and could hear no difference at all using Roon Bridge. I settled on Ropieee. It’s totally hassle free and just works.

1 Like

That’s very helpful. Thanks for your feedback. I certainly don’t want to jump through hoops if the improvement might be marginal at best.

I’ve never tried DietPi, but this is what I would have expected.

I have installed both in the last few days as Room end points and went for DietPi not because it sounds better, but because it allowed me to run a backup DNS server and a few other features.

I would say Ropiee is easier to install and configure because it is more targeted at one feature. But you invest the time and effort, and if you buy a couple of cheap memory cards you can be off and running.
I also installed VitOS on another device that is only for use with my USB headphone amplifier. That also works really well if you only want USB Audio output.

Not sure this helps or not

Regards

Mike

1 Like

Thanks, @Michael_Harris Michael. Also helpful.

So no audible difference between and of the OS’s ?

Not too my ears. Maybe when there is more going on this might be the case,but the Pi 4 has a much better design than the 2 and 3 and it gives the device much more headroom to do more than one thing at a time.
One of the things I read about VitOS was that it had lower latency, but not sure it makes a huge difference.
I would recommend trying all three and I am currently using two of them and happy with that. All it takes is a few $€£ to get a memory card and decide exactly what you want it to do.

I forgot to add that I am running some Roon extensions on DietPi as well as Roon bridge and a DNS server and it has plenty of headroom still.
I could not run any of that on VitOS

Regards

Mike

My 2 cents - I have tried both, and I can hear NO DIFFERENCE whatsoever. They both sound great!

1 Like

Never tried Dietpi but this one http://www.thunder-data.com/vitos-for-rpi4 looks like sounds slightly better than Ropiee.

Give it a try and test it yourself.

1 Like

No AirPlay with Vitos, correct?

Since they both install RoonBridge in an underlying Linux OS on an RPi, can someone tell me why there would be a difference in SQ?

4 Likes

It’s all theoretical as far as I can tell from using all three distributions mentioned. There is enough headroom in a Pi 4 for it not to cause any issues with any of these solutions. So again it depends on what you want. I don’t need Airplay but I like some of the additions that DietPi offers, it will be the opposite for someone else.
It’s the amazing thing with open source ecosystems, so much choice and so many of them really good

Regards

Mike

no airplay, spotify connect or wi-fi…but I’m not using any of them so I’m ok for the moment with VitOS

1 Like

I am wondering how could one or another linux roon bridges sound different ?!
Their job is only to receive the audio from roon server via same RAAT protocol and to send it to DAC via USB !
What could change the SQ in this equation ?
From my point of view, thee are not differences between them besides the features (Airplay, etc) and user preference.

2 Likes

They can’t.

Nothing, but expectation can make it seem to change…

1 Like

Agreed. They sound exactly the same.

I have used both and heard no difference. I have found Ropieee to be more stable though.