Does it make sense for me to have Roon (Noobie question)?

Same here, no noise with my 2017 iMac, M1 Mac mini and NUC 10i7FNHN running ROCK. Sonore devices are fine but do not offer any improvements in SQ compared to any other PC or Mac running Roon Server.

3 Likes

I’m getting clicks and pops on my digital….:sunglasses:
What am i doing wrong?:smirk:

2 Likes

Thanks for all your info. Right now my iMac runs into an REM ADI-2 FS DAC into a Rogue Spinx 3 and out to my Sonus Faber Sonetto IIs. I love this set up but I might try a dedicated streamer and see if makes a difference.

As for your comments regarding Roon/Qobuz, I’ve been convinced to give it a try when I return from a short trip. I’m curious as to how much I’ll enjoy the interface and then also out put to several Sonos zones. Excited to try.

You’ve got a good system. You are in an ideal space to take advantage of a Sonore streamer. Enjoy the music!

1 Like

Spot on Jez. That pretty much matches my experience 100%, slightly different path but the same results. Though I do occasionally come back to the native Qobuz app, the majority of time I spend in Roon - and one of those features that is virtually invisible that I find fantastic is the volume levelling as I switch between genres on Roon radio for instance.

Regards

2 Likes

Does it make sense? Yes totally. I had a similar history to you and when Roon added support for Qobuz in Jan 2019 I jumped onboard and nearly three years later have never regretted it. @Jez puts it beautifully.

2 Likes

I jumped in early, likely way before I fully understood how it worked and as a result spent a long time somewhat frustrated. I’ve since worked out those issues and everything is great now.

But there was a time when even after purchasing, I looked for alternatives and quite honestly there just isn’t a lot out there. With Roon I had grown to expect I could assemble a library of my own music, divide it into various favs & playlists, and listen on multiple devices (laptops, Bluetooth speakers, Sonos, DACs, wireless headphones) at the same time anywhere in my house.

Other platforms exist, but none have done it as well as Roon. Not even close.

4 Likes

For me Roon is must because Qobuz desktop app is too laggy…

you don’t need roon. but you want roon.

Just scanned the replies and didn’t see a reference to Roon Radio. We’re all looking for new music. I have radio turned on so it will play tracks from other similar artists when my selected album is finished. More likely than not, one of the songs radio plays catches my interest and I’ll touch the album cover being played to see the album. I’ll play the new album and add it to my library if good. Many happy surprises with no search work. You may need to let radio figure you out a bit, but it’s an easy go from there. Listening now to an album I just added to my collection.

2 Likes

Roon radio is definitely something I’m interested in.

Roon interface (running Qobuz) is WAY better looking than Qobuz.

So Roon wins on:
Looks
Discovery
Also, you will be able to use Roon’s (v good) parametric eq (a feature missing from Qobuz) to tweak your system or do complex room correction.

It only makes sense if you have an digital library of music you still play. If its just for steaming then I would advise against paying for Roon. If you do have an active library and your equipment is up to acting as a stable Roon endpoint then it is really great.

Myself I’m ending my Roon subscription as I don’t have a stable setup. (Amp keeps losing the Roon Core and will only reconnect after rebooting, which is unacceptable.)
Sad to see it go because the combination of your own library and a streaming service is really great.

I know that the upfront cost of Roon looks like a lot, but if you think about how often you use Roon on any given day/week/year that cost can begin to look quite trivial. For example, I’d guess that I use Roon for about 3 hours each day (often more). At $119.88 a year that works out at around 10.9 cents per hour. Am I willing to pay ≈11 cents an hour to enjoy the Roon experience? Yep.

2 Likes

It’s all relative… and all these subscriptions can add up if you’re not careful. At least Roon offer monthly billing now, so buy a month or two and try it out. If there’s no perceived value, it’s simple to quit.

1 Like

If it’s just for added interface on top of Tidal or Qobus I don’t think it adds that much. Tidal isn’t that bad and it keeps improving. My advice is to try Roon out.
I do stand by my recommendation that for streaming alone it’s not worth it. But do try it out and see if Roons radio feature is more to your liking and if the additional content is something that you value.
Again. If you have your own music collection then Roon is great. There is nothing like it. And I would love to keep using it myself if my setup wasn’t so flaky.

2 Likes

Absolutely, try it out and see how you like it. I can’t imagine not having Roon as part of my daily life, but isn’t for everyone, nor for every use case.

@dutchcelt, have you raised a support ticket regarding the problems you’ve been having?

1 Like

The problem looks to be a network persistence issue on one or all of the following: Streamer/amp, Router (wired), Roon Core, or the server running the Core. Everybody is pointing at each other with no real help to pinpoint the problem. Roon is the one that loses out as I can’t reliably use their solution. Well, I don’t care anymore. I’m moving on and hope that a future update resolves it before my account expires.

1 Like

I assume that switching off IPV6 and changing DNS has already been tried on all affected devices. If not, 2nd chance to solve the problem.

Yep. No joy. However if Roon has issues with IPv6 then that is a dealbreaker in of itself. Anyway it matters not. I’m not going to spend anymore time on this.