Does Nucleus Plus Stream Native DSD?

Roon Core Machine

Roon Nucleus Plus.

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Ethernet

Connected Audio Devices

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

I am considering getting a network dac that can play native DSD, but I noticed in the Roon FAQ:

In terms of transports, Roon supports:

1. DSD over PCM (DoP) v1.0

2. DSD converted to PCM in Roon, sent as PCM to your DAC

3. DSD-Direct (DSD-Native) using ASIO drivers on Windows

So, I connect a dac to the network, will Roon do DSD as DoP rather than DSD-Direct to the streamer? Thanks.

As an example, the Setup for my iFi Pro DAC -

Also, as I understand it, DoP is just a deliverance envelope. So, Native or DoP both result in the same DSD resolution…

Thank you. For some reason I thought that native DSD was preferable to DoP but this may be yet another myth.

DoP can’t reach the highest resolution as it needs overhead. So, a dsd 512.dac can only do dsd 256 via DoP.

1 Like

It really depends on the DAC. It should give you a resolution limit via different connection methodologies. Like dsd64 via coax, dsd512 via USB, etc. Just look for the limit over Ethernet.

Thank you all for the very helpful advice. I am looking at the Auralic Vega G2.1 and here is what they say. So, looks like Nucleus will send DoP DSD and I should be able to get DSD 512 through internet connection? Thanks.:

PCM: 44.1KHz to 384KHz in 32Bit***
DSD: DSD64(2.8224MHz), DSD128(5.6448MHz), DSD256(11.2896MHz), DSD512(22.57892MHz)****
*** 352.8KHz and 384KHz and 32bit are supported through streaming, USB and Lighting-Link input only
**** By ‘DoP V1.1’ or native DSD protocol through streaming, USB and Lightning-Link input only

1 Like

It looks so, it seems to indicate USB streaming or lightning link will give you native

But, I always contact the company if any gear I am puchasing to.ask them directly.

1 Like

Very good idea to contact company directly. Thanks.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.