Does Roon benefit from Multicore CPU

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Roon 2018/03/07 currently running on Synology 918+

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

1GB Ethernet wired LAN

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

HifiBerry raspberry pi 4 endpoints

Description Of Issue

Roon runs fine in this setup - I am very happy with it - only when I use the DSP sample rate conversion to upsample - sometimes playback stops. So I am thinking of putting The Roon Server + my media library on a dedicated NAS.
There are 2 Core and 4 Core CPU´s available to choose from. The 2 Core CPU has a higher single core performance - but of corse multicore performance is worse.
Now my question - does Roon benefit from multiple cores (does the software do multithreading) - or should I always go for the highest single core perfromance?
Also - does Roon benefit from more RAM? Or is there a minimum RAM recommendation?
Thanks and best regards
Sven

Your Celeron is below minimum Roon hardware requirements.

Not a good idea unless your NAS runs an i7 or i5.

Opt for a high single thread performance for DSP, but quad core is also better than dual core. Since you stated “endpoints” in plural, you need both high single thread performance, and quad core.

Usually you need 8GB RAM, more if your OS needs RAM for other services you need, or if you have a huge library.

Consider NUC8i7BEH.

1 Like

Hi Peter, thanks a lot for your reply - makes perfect sense :slight_smile: Sven

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.