Does Roon care about non-streamers anymore?

BTW: musicbrainz is able to handle events (like concerts), too - so you could add LRB concerts, if you wanted to. :slight_smile:

But that would not propagate easily into Roon, I’m afraid.

1 Like

Has Roon stopped working with your library? Mine works perfectly.

2 Likes

Roon does integrate other curators’ metadata. If I find an album in my local collection not being identified on Roon I add it to MusicBrainz and typically it will be identifiable on Roon within just a few days.

Too many Roon users complain about missing albums but are too lazy (to use a popular term on this thread) to put in the small amount of effort needed to correct the problem. If we all did this can you imagine how much better Roon’s metadata for us dinosaurs would be?

8 Likes

Understood, but i belive most us actually payed for Roon with the assumption that we would not have to curate our libraries ourselves. Thats sort of the USP of Roon? Great metadata, very limited work…

And most of the time it works fine, just sayin’. :slight_smile:

If each Roon user did just one per day just think how many changes we could get done between us over a year.

Some of us aren’t that bothered about all of our metadata.

1 Like

I find all my music (including digitized 12’’ and 7’’ vinyl) in Discogs, without ever having to edit anything.
Roon is obviously not looking there.

I don’t see the point in critiquing those who want to cultivate local libraries only. That was my intention when I purchased Roon. I have had a Tidal premium subscription for some months now but don’t envisage this will always be the case.

Obviously one of Roon’s strengths is exploring connections to new music, but some people are only into what they know. Tough being a developer… you can never be all things to all people, but pigeonholing your customers is not going to be a winner in everyone’s eyes.

Frankly I’m happy with Roon the way it is, and regard any new functionality as a bonus.

Stay well.

1 Like

Apologies to all for the long thread.

I would like to first share that technically, from a platform perspective, the Roon Community boards (this forum) is the best I know of. The folks at Room have done an amazing job building this site and including us of all. I also think it is awesome that executives at Roon like @danny read and engage on it. This has two major benefits: users feel heard, and the company gets direct feedback and ideas on how to build an even better product. This in turns benefits the company And it’s users. I personally love checking in (my girlfriend would say “geeking out”) on this forum and learning all I can from each of you! Thank you!

Where this post went astray, IMHO, was the company’s reaction to @Speed_Racer. In my experience, the larger one’s audience, the more careful and precise one needs to be in one’s words. My company has thousands of users too, and I would never dare direct words like “lazy” to a customer in a thread. Why risk insulting or disenfranchising a big supporter?!

I also feel that the company’s executives should try to “rise above” the threads if they go off the rails, as we know they often do. Customers and users – all of us – say and write stupid things sometimes. Sometimes in jest, sometimes because we had a bad day, sometimes because this is a hobby and we just want to write what we feel like! It should not be Roon’s role to “put someone in their place” by embarrassing or insulting them on this public forum. I agree with @Matt_Armstrong that it is not constructive for executives to personally attack users.

IMHO the original post, complaining about a lack of features in libraries should have been addressed by the company in two ways: (a) matter if factly: these are the features we have implemented (as @danny rightly did), and then (b) asking for input: “hey @Speed_Racer, I’m sorry you feel that way! What features would you like to see?” This could have yielded some very constructive product insights for Roon, the right way.

Anyway, I hope some apologies were shared by Roon over DM to those offended to clear the air.

Now… back to the music! ; )

8 Likes

Well said, and I do agree with you for what its worth, but some of the “crap” I’ve seen directed at the Roon team would be hard for me to swallow without retaliation. My 2 cents, keep the change.

4 Likes

I would add to the list of features which are NOT applicable to streamed music is your support for multi-channel surround, which I’m fairly certain is not yet available from any streaming service. I subscribe to both Tidal and Quobuz hi-def services, but I am so grateful that all my DSD audio files and Multi-channel files can co-exist in the same interface.

1 Like

10 posts were split to a new topic: Qobuz multi-channel albums

I am a standalone Roon user, or I was until I signed for the Tidal £4 for 4 months the other day, and while I like my music I can already see the benefit of augmenting my largish (34k tracks) with albums that I do not have from the music I am currently enjoying.
Not quite sure that I concur with your observations so it would be useful if you expanded on the reasons for this

Mike

I dont understand. Why not explain why you have no love.

I worry that such accusations without data are just trolls, but help me understand. i dont stream. I use roon and like it (aside from some well publicized gripes). Good UI, great sound quality, good integration to radio, good cataloging. Some work still to be done.

I am willing to do this. I just don’t understand how Roon gets its metadata and how we can help? Here’s an example I remember: There’s an album called ACM Gospel Choir recorded by the group ACM Gospel Choir but Roon somehow thinks it’s by “AMC Gospel Choir”

If I wanted to update that info outside of Roon so that other people’s searches correctly found it, how would I do that?

Unfortunately Discogs uses a metadata schema that does not seem to be compatible with anything else. For instance, there have been multiple attempts to create automatic mappings from Discogs to Musicbrainz, and they are all a mess.

The problem is in one of Roon’s main data sources.

1 Like

I’m one of those dinosaurs you’re referring to, I’ll happily admit it. I’m fundamentally opposed to the corporatisation of music delivery, the record labels are bad enough, now a bunch that add absolutely nothing for the artists want to monopolise delivery. Maybe that’s dinosaur thinking but I’d rather my payment for music go more directly to the artist. I don’t think much of Netflix etc either.

Here in Australia all those corporations are just a bunch of tax dodging free loaders. Long live the dinosaurs.

4 Likes

Perhaps you and others misunderstood the meaning of dinosaur. It doesn’t mean old, it means going going gone. It wasn’t an insult but an observation.

1 Like

As @Fernando_Pereira has just pointed out the problem is with AllMusic.

The other source I looked at is MusicBrainz.com which is correct: https://musicbrainz.org/release/6fe75416-b596-4bd6-9334-562a79519c60

Not sure why Roon favoured Rovi over MusicBrainz (@dylan ?) but if you go to the incorrect site you can submit corrections. I have registered at both to allow me to add albums etc.

I’ve submitted a request to AllMusic to correct your album. MusicBrainz is typically quicker at allowing corrections than AllMusic from my experience.