Does Roon care about non-streamers anymore?

Sure! Master Quality Authenticated by Chaliapin, Sinatra, Beethoven and the likes in person! :wink:

1 Like

Jim_F 2022 … same here non-streaming customer… pleased with Roon

I completely agree with you Chris.

Personally, I’m thoroughly enjoying the (relatively temporary) vinyl resurgence. I’ve thoroughly enjoyed the recent resurgence in vinyl releases. I’m currently listening to the half-speed remastered double-LP 45rpm release of Peter Gabriel’s ‘So’ on my Linn (almost) Klimax-level LP12, and it’s probably the best I’ve heard this album.

BUT you’re right. Physical media has ‘had it’s day’. I LOVE SACD & Vinyl. But streaming IS the present, and definitely the future. No doubt.

1 Like

I think having a huge library of vinyl (well cared for) would be fun.

1 Like

But look at the flip side. Streaming might be young, but a lot of us are not. How long do you want to wait until it’s mature? As you wait, how many opportunities do you miss hearing music you might love but haven’t been exposed to?
At least in the context of this thread, the argument shouldn’t be about ‘owning’ your own library vs. renting through streaming. You own only a very small and fairly static subset of a much larger set via streaming. Streaming lets you explore all sorts of new or different opportunities.
For all the new music I’ve fallen in love with that I just would never had heard left to my old habits, some bad mastering is a minor trade-off. Also, I often end up buying the stuff I really love a lot.

4 Likes

Streaming has also put an end to the loudness wars by the way they implement volume levelling. This means that the way to get your music to stand out now is to have a w9de Dynamic Range.
I posted a link to an explanatory video elsewhere on the site.

Jim, it’s the best.

Make no mistake. Vinyl has it’s problems, and limitations. But ‘get it right’, and it’s BY FAR the most fun, and arguably the most satisfying medium overall :smiley:

1 Like

I’m betting on a resurgence of Edison cylinders!

2 Likes

Instead of a shelf containing around 1,000 CDs I can walk into my study and have access to this …

8 Likes

Good suggestion on having the choice to limit Roon Radio to your personal library. I actually like having Qobuz access with Roon Radio, but it is a great idea for some users.

1 Like

:rofl: but honestly, who knows what’s coming? My objection with the current model has more to do with stop paying, and you have nothing, rather than paying to download music data.

That’s very true, and it takes a while to get your head around the change, but youngsters will know or care no differently
As I type I am enjoying Mathew Southern Comforts long awaited new offering, Streamed of course…

I spoke with a dealer a few days ago who advised he was aware of a product was being developed to improve digital harshness and become more vinyl-like.

It’s called good equipment…
Ooo I was tempted there :joy:

instead of paying for streaming I am investing that money in buying 1 LP per month. Makes me feel the money is going somewhere, having the hardware is nice as well.

1 Like

Digital isn’t ‘harsh’ at all. It’s sublime. It all depends on what you use to playback digital.

If you substandard/suboptimal hardware to playback digital, it may sound harsh. But then again, ‘get it right’, it can and will sound sublime.

1 Like

That’s true, Scott. My local library has expanded the most since I encountered Roon and its forum, combined with Spotify to listen to all the tips I see here!

1 Like

This thread.

3 Likes

Rent versus own. Nothing new there. It’s a choice. I prefer to rent and leave my money invested (except for house and cars).

I am investing in streaming to explore the music and get a firm grasp of the mastering used. If I like it enough that I would miss it if Qobuz, et. al chose to pull it from their streaming service, I pop over to the Qobuz website and buy it. Roon allows us music lovers to enjoy streaming and owning seamlessly… or near seamlessly since that disparity is what the whole point of this thread is.

Metadata on what I purchase on Qobuz is much better than some of the CDs I rip—even if the CD release is relatively recent, such as remasters that include mono and stereo versions of the album.