Does Roon care about non-streamers anymore?

Why?

To cut down on the verbiage, I think that these are the salient points:

Both good and bad music exist in all eras. From previous eras, the good music is remembered; the bad music gets forgotten.

If someone cannot find good music in any era, that person is being intellectually “lazy” (i.e. not trying very hard) or acting downright close minded (i.e. refusing on principle to endeavor or embrace.)

AJ

1 Like

I think that if someone already feels so neglected (or even adversarial) in their relationship with the Roon software that they start a thread about that feeling then they’re not likely to read an ambiguous statement with any charity at all.

It’s easy to find more offense when you’re already feeling some to begin with. Especially when stuck at home in the middle of a stressful pandemic quarantine. We could all do with a bit more compassion towards each other and in the case of ambiguity just assume the most charitable interpretation.

2 Likes

Lazy is an insulting term as far as I’m concerned and it ended up being levelled at an entire group of people. I believe that language should be used more carefully. Especially by someone in that position. It could have been done in a less rude way. Just making my point. I didn’t like it. The fact that I felt I needed to reply on this thread is indicative of that. Being accused of being ‘intellectually lazy’ because you like your music a certain way is pomposity. Look, now you’ve got me insulting people. Others can argue as they wish. I’ve made my contribution.

3 Likes

I did no such thing. Stop putting words in my mouth and read the entire thread. I spent over half my messages clarifying that this is exactly what I did not say. This post included. Read it again:

Roon have to, as they have no choice in taking care of the “elderly” Roon users , they have to sell their products, and a lot of older users out there still stick to their local drives for music storage, some even refuse to use Qobuz or Tidal for whatever reason. :slight_smile:

It’s usually best for corporate officers and their egos to stay off the forums.

2 Likes

it’s not just the elderly that have local drives of music… almost all of our users do!

1 Like

I discovered Billie Eilish thanks to Roon.
And that’s worth my subs alone! :grinning:

3 Likes

You would have discovered her anyway :slight_smile: She ate the world!

2 Likes

The irony here – in worldviews focused on halcyon days of Miss American Pie and the days before the music died – is that “intellectually lazy” in a pre Millenial era was not necessarily an insult but potentially a constructive criticism. Now, any negative assessment of a person’s character or actions turns into an insult.

Hmm. Regressive to a fault when it comes to music. Progressive to a fault when it comes to evaluation of people.

But I digress.

Nobody said “to like your music a certain way” is “intellectually lazy.” However, to eschew new music without adequate exploration definitely is “intellectually lazy.” That is the essence of giving up, no longer trying.

Streaming, though, makes it a lot easier for anyone – who still is trying – to find their preferred “good music” from any era, past or present.

AJ

4 Likes

I’m in UK, and in essence we’re in a national lockdown now. This will apply for three-weeks, initially.

I suspect that streaming services may see a pick-up in subscribers during this time? I do hope so. I do hope that Qobuz & Tidal continue to do well into the future :grinning:

2 Likes

Funny how that works. I’ve had Roon with Tidal/Qobuz since June of last year and in that amount of time I’ve been exposed to new music every day from the radio kicking in and recommendations. Not all new but new to me. I had a lot of catching up to do with no end in sight.

I’m very happy to have it, especially now with the world wide situation. My location is currently shelter in place and headed into lock-down. Good luck and best wishes to all. Hope to see your posts on the other side.

3 Likes

I had both for awhile, but when I jumped off the MQA trail I dropped Tidal. Ended up liking Qobuz better. Both are excellent services. Best, Robert

1 Like

But did you read Roon’s reply!? It doesn’t look like, based on your answer.
“It couldn’t be further from the truth, and it pains us that you feel this way.”
and
“Roon isn’t killing or even ignoring local libraries. That was my entire argument. The fact that we are even talking about this is only due to the repeated accusations by a small number of very noisy individuals.”

I did exactly the same thing.
I too had both services until recently, then I stopped streaming MQA so I dropped Tidal.
Qobuz, at least in the UK, is absolutely great with respect to its catalogue.

Qobuz US Catalog has improved, and the Qobuz staff will add titles if you request it (and they have it).

Besides introducing me to tons of new music, Roon/Tidal has also given me access to lots of new old music. Streaming The Stooges, 50th Anniversary Edition right now.

I can’t help but wonder what the urgent non-streaming features that some users want are? Of the features that I still really want in Roon, almost all apply to both streaming and non-streaming:

• UI Improvements
  • AppleTV app
  • Ability to connect to my Roon Core from outside my network (ie at work)
  • Easier room correction (DIRAC?)

The only things that I want that are really just for non-streaming are improvements to the metadata for live/bootleg albums and alerts when my favorite artists add a streaming album.

2 Likes

I saw Iggy and the Stooges perform at the Royal Festival Hall in 2013. Absolutely brilliant, the best bit was when Iggy invited the whole audience to dance on stage with them. The bouncers at the front were just bewildered as to what they could do.

1 Like

Me too. I see Roon as mature for non-streamers, in that it works great - a possible exception being box set handling (but I don’t understand that either). The future is streaming, and subscriptions for everyone.

5 Likes

I am guessing that you are not a non-streamer.