Does Roon care about non-streamers anymore?

There are a hundred ways of discovering new music: friends, streaming services, concerts, even record shops whether locally or via Internet. And all of them are a great way to explore.
Actually I do the same with the exception of paid Streaming services. I like to own the music I listen to. That was the reason for me to buy a Lifetime for Roon as this sotfware covers it all in beautiful way.
Personally my favourite way is with my buddies. I julst love the interaction with people getting excited about the music.
Unfortunately this will be not the case for now.
However we even try to do this via Conference calling. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Well said Frank,
let me add one more way to find new music: Roon Forum, within almost every thread you will find a new tip :nerd_face:
Best Armin

2 Likes

Yep! Definately! How could I forget that :slight_smile:

1 Like

For me that problem is a total no issue.
I entertain a huge local library and see improvements with each new release.
Roon got better with every release. I am sure they are on a real good path.
And then I personally like streaming better, just because maintenance is a real cost and time factor. So I slowly move my setup more and more into streaming.
The actual lockdown helps to do exactly that.

1 Like

That could also have to do with the fact that someone is satisfied with what he has. Would this be lazy too?

Streaming, though, makes it a lot easier for anyone – who still is trying – to find their preferred “good music” from any era, past or present.

making things easier… would that be lazy too?

you see. it is all a matter of point of view.
Meening no affence here :slight_smile:

1 Like

Anyone who charges $700 for software and it can’t play .iso doesn’t care period. That’s the end of that debate.

MusicBrainz allows bootlegs to be added so long as they are flagged as such and you can show where they came from.

Roon seems to pick these up OK.

Probably not…

1 Like

“Anyone who buys a $700 software should be aware of the software’s intended purpose and capabilities”… No debate necessary :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Ok. Nevertheless; thanks for stepping by.

2 Likes

I agree with this statement although I am a virtual non-streamer as I rely >95% on my own library.

Right, that was my point. @Matt_Armstrong, I’m definitely not defending Roon’s COO here, just reminding us that opinions are like holes on an ass: everyone has one and he apparently does too. If Roon’s product does what you want, who cares what some rando who works there thinks?

1 Like

Some of us tried to ask for Iso support on various occasions.
What I learned from answers (mostly from fellow users)

1. Not too many of the user base ask for that.
  2. There is work involved.
  3. Other features have higher priority.
  4. I should understand and stop asking stupid questions.
1 Like

Yea exactly they don’t care. Every player on the planet worth crap has .iso playback and has for YEARS. But somehow they at Roon charge $700 and don’t care when you ask. It’s to much work like they say, well your app is to much money.

I came to forum soon as I noticed it doesn’t play .iso, I then noticed exactly what miklats says , they don’t care. But even IF it did play .iso, this app isn’t worth $700 , period. $200 at best. It’s almost comical people pay for this app at that price.

Wow. Some of these threads really run, don’t they…

2 Likes

Go look at an MQA thread.

If you have a spare week.

4 Likes

I think I’d have died before getting through it all.

2 Likes

Guess Roon is something different to everyone. I for one am very happy with what they have to offer for the 120 per year, or the lifetime buy in while it available.

I admit to not knowing what a lot of the stuff is (.iso playback for instance) that people get worked up over not being included. If I did maybe I would feel the same way, but it works fine for me at a price I consider worth while.

It is already implemented! You create a Musicbrainz account, and start adding the missing releases. The free Musizbrainz Picard app with the Add Cluster as Release plugin helps with this. Once your release edits are accepted by Musicbrainz, they eventually filter back to Roon and help anyone else on Roon who ever gets that release. I do this quite regularly for the exotic self-produced or small label albums I get.

4 Likes

You were right :sweat_smile: