Does Roon do too much?

You state this as if it were fact. How can you be so sure?

I could argue that you are doing too much in your home environment. NAS for storage—overkill and outdated—and separate core feed a network endpoint. More complicated than my multiple zone setup with ROCK plus attached storage and multiple Raspberry Pi endpoints.

In six year’s it’s worked. And when it hasn’t the cause of the issue wasn’t Roon.

I don’t get the premise. How can Roon innovate, and become the best product in this space, if it doesn’t support the features and equipment customers use? The business comparisons are irrelevant.

1 Like

I have to say, Roon has been very stable for me.
I for one, very much value the diversity of features the software offers.

If anything, I hope Roon continues to both enrich feature offerings, whilst continuing to develop better testing and deployment methods and practices.

I hope Roon will always continue to listen to community feedback, and push the boundaries of software development, and user experience.

As an example, I don’t use tagging. However many users do and love this function. I also don’t use ‘your mixes’, “Playlists by Roon” etc etc but that’s ok - I’m sure many do.

Conversely, I use procedural & convolution filters and do my crossovers and room correction in Roon - Many users wouldn’t. Should Roon delete this function…?
I hope not, its one of the primary reasons I use the software, and of course the amazing GUI, cross platform support, sampling rate control, amazing volume control, streaming and local content integration, etc etc + future features…is all icing on the cake.

For me, Roon is the best music playback software available.
It caters for so many applications, management preferences, and use cases. Roon does most things very well.

2 Likes

100% fail to innovate - and die.

1 Like

I love Roon for what it does, been a user for many years. I have also experienced many many issues when they perform major upgrades.
I was in the Computer industry for over 43 years and I wrote Roon’s Ceo a couple times when Roon wouldn’t work after a major upgrade (remember when Roon came out with a new release at the same time Apple made a new release and Roon couldn’t see any usb attached disk drives? I was without Roon for weeks). I mentioned to the ceo that I would fire programmers for the lack of testing that seems to have occurred here. This was a couple years ago and since then things have been much better.

You do have to give kudos to software companies that have to support tens of thousands unique computer setups that get things right most of the time.

4 Likes

I use Roon at 90% of its capability, love every piece of it, and NEVER have a problem with it. Running the equivalent of $50k in gear in three different rooms, over five systems, not counting other hi-def mobile devices (not smart phones, I mean hi-def players capable of running top-of-the-line headphones), playing a music collection of a few thousand albums, and both Tidal and Qobuz.

Roon changed my life for the much better, I must use it six hours a day on average and I repeat, I never had a problem in five years. I don’ post here because I have generally no reason, but this time I must, as the idea that because a few have a problem, the majority of us needs to have a trickled-back solution just makes no sense whatsoever. As far as I am concerned, given how one concert ticket costs in the low hundreds, they could double their price and I’d still think it’s worth it, PARTICULARLY as it’s amongst the most reliable pieces of software I use (I work in VR enterprise, I use a lot of software, particularly for a sixty years old).

Cheers!

9 Likes

If Roon wants to be successful it needs to cater to as many devices as possible. A case in point, if my Devialet speakers had not been Roon Ready, I would not have been writing this now.

However, I am not sure I will be a subscriber for long if the development of the products does not show some serious improvement. I have been subscribed for three days only and I have already come across several shortcomings, such as #shuffle and #sorting. I see in this forum that these are issues people have been complaining about for a long time already, and there seems to be no communication from the developers on the issues. That for me is not a sign of a well managed company.

If you have some issues, please open a new thread with one topic per thread. Thanks.

1 Like

Hmmm…
I am retired now. So, I have a lot of time (if I wish) and not a lot of patients left.
After some years of thinking, reading, trying, I finally bought Roon, Qobuz and am busy to rip my quite large soundlibary.
With Roon the learningcurve is quite steep and you need time to learn. A certain knowledge of musicreproduction seems to make the proces easyer.
But I love it. It‘s like I am again 8 years and locked up for a long time in a chocolate Store and an store for modelbuilding.
I habe several smaller collections. Old Music, Guitar, International Folk, Jazz……classic to Metal.
Now it is quite easy to deepen my knowledge and build up a gear for excellent reproduction.
I am still learning. It will take some time. And, when I rip my Music 6 hours a day, I should be ready by the New Year.
Nevertheless. I found some flaws and mistakes in the ROON System.
Work in progres, I asume.
No, they don‘t try to hard or too much. It is a brilliant system.
And for a quicky, I still have my Phone and an excellent Wireless Earspeaker.

5 Likes

You bring up a good point, yes Roon is trying to do something quite extraordinary and I applaud them for it. In reality all companies have issues with software and Roon really does a pretty good job considering all they are covering.

A comparison to consider is issues many iPhones have, some just months old, each time Apple does a software update.

I do think there would generally be a positive response if Roon stated for the next 6 months for example that they were not working on any new features but only working to make platform more solid.

1 Like

That would depend on if Roon is resource constrained. Are the people who develop new features the same people that solve and correct problems?

Good point!

Based on my experience in software development, the answer to both questions is yes.

Unless you worked for Roon, your experience is irrelevant.

1 Like

Fixing your own code is much easier than fixing someone else’s (although of course a second set of eyes can often help)

1 Like

@Jim_F, please tell me, what would you like to do as a software engineer: develop new features or forever fix bugs?

I would not like to be a software engineer.

7 Likes

Yes, you’re missing something and your first rule is probably the second rule. The first rule is to meet end user requirements.

When I started with Roon, 6 yrs ago, it managed the library. That’s been entirely given up on. I’m not sure how features are selected at Roonlab but it might be sensible to have some voting on functionality for future releases.

So maybe it’s not too many features but rather not the ones the majority want.

There is a voting feature in the feature request room.

Perhaps features being considered just need more promotion and orchestrated voting. Roon provides all the features I need except library management and that’s already been ruled out as ‘we can’t do it’ so I’m happy to just use what I have. I would actually be delighted if you could just ignore updates of the software and I’d happily stick with what I have. I’ve had one instance of the system trashing my library, I’d really like to avoid the day of rebuild.

I couldn’t even tell you what’s really changes in the past few updates I’ve had to install, it’s not anything that materially affects me other than the failure I had.

I should say that I only use my media library, I’m a dinosaur with no streaming.

There is a list of features in #roon:feature-suggestions, vote for the ones you like or write yours. More often than not, frequently requested features are implemented if feasible. I neither know what promotion this needs nor why your Roon has suddenly stopped managing your library, mine didn’t

1 Like