Does Roon support DSD512?

I saw a DSD512 recording (https://www.nativedsd.com/albums/6220673-johann-sebastian-bach-6-sonatas-for-recorder-harpsichord-and-viola-da-gamba). Does Roon support DSD512? (It presumably would down-sample such for most DACs/preamps).

Roon itself doesn’t have any resolution limits as far as I know. The OS you are running Roon on might, as well as the hardware might, have limits. If you had a DSD512 recording and your DAC only supported DSD 256, Roon would down-sample; however, if the server did not have enough processing power to handle it, you might not get the best experience.

If you have a DSD512 capable DAC attached to a Windows OS machine running Roon with the manufacturer supplied drivers installed, then, yes you should have no trouble ever running DSD 512. Linux, including ROCK, is a completely different ball of wax and I would start by contacting the DAC manufacturer and ask if it is capable of DSD512 under Linux, and if so, which Linux distros support it.

1 Like

I’ll also add that there are network streamers/DACs that support DSD512 via the network. (I’ve done it with my Auralic Vega G2, for example – though only to test it works not for actual day-to-day listening.) Using a DSD512-capable network streamer will have minimal performance requirements on the Roon Core for straight playback. Having Roon upsample to DSD512 is another story entirely, however…

(And yes, I know the Auralic website says the Vega G2 only does DSD256. They added DSD512 support in one of the firmware updates along the ways, and never updated the marketing material on the website.)

I play every thing not MQA from TIDAL in DSD512…No problems

1 Like

Based on my recent experience Roon only supports 512 DSD files when they are based on a multiple of 44.1k sampling rate (22.5792 MHz); Roon fails to import 48k-based 512 DSD files (24.576 MHz), displaying the error message ‘Audio stream format not supported’.

Both 512/44.1 and 512/48 files will play in HQPlayer. Audirvana has the same problem as Roon.

1 Like

Sorry to resurrect this ancient thread, but I was recently sent some DSD512 files created by HQP Pro, and I noticed that Roon only shows a subset of the files, those which are based on the 44.1k sample rate family. The DSD512 48k 24.576 MHz files do not show. So this behavior you reported from 4 years ago is still present.

I suppose this was never raised as a feature request?

I don’t remember raising it as a feature request.

But is there really such a thing as a 48KHz-based DSD? I mean sure, you could sample DSD at any frequency you want, be it at 1.79Hz or 32GHz, but the standard for DSDs in existence is 44.1KHz times “some power of 2 equal to or above 64”. Roon only even have strings for saying DSD64 (etc.) so the assumption is that it is always 64 x 44.1, it can’t even “articulate” something being based on a different sampling frequency. It probably won’t show DSD137 either.

I suppose that since technically those are possible, just as one could make a 28/64.92 PCM, maybe Roon should identify them. But practically speaking, nobody distributes in those formats, and most (if not all) DACs would not play them, so other than some academic interest, what’s the point?

What is the reason to prefer 48 over 44.1?

Because 48 > 44.01 obviously! :rofl:

1 Like