Does the Nucleus offer anything in terms of sonic improvement over say using an iMac

Hi
Does the nucleus offer anything in terms of sonic improvement over say using your iMac. I am in a smaller property and currently tethered to my amp via USB. What is a home pod btw?

Thanks
Sean

Oops, here’s another can of worms to open. My take is it depends. The philosophy for the Nucleus is that it is running a dedicated version of Linux stripped of all non-essentials. Therefore, the only thing the machine is doing is what is necessary to reproduce music and maintain the Roon library. So, theoretically you might be able to hear an improvement in sound quality over an iMac or PC used for general purposes to, say surf the internet or prepare a cost accounting spreadsheet at the same time you’re playing music. Will you be able to hear improvements? There are so many other factors involved (network performance, audio gear quality, your own hearing ability) it’s impossible to say. If you’re really interested, maybe you can seek out a vendor that can loan you a unit to try. Best way to know for sure is to audition one.

At the risk of boring you with this post, I got a Nucleus because I didn’t like leaving my PC on 24/7. The Nucleus stays on all the time so i can access music anywhere in my house at any time and it requires no thought or planning. It just works every time.

2 Likes

There’s no “can of worms”, the answer is no. With rock/nucleus, you get a dedicated server, with nucleus, you get that plus support. A dedicated server is always preferable, but a sonic advantage?

6 Likes

Hi Sean,

The second reply should answer your question.

The HomePod is the Apple smart speaker only really useful if you are in the Apple eco system. Regards, Terry.

I was being generous in my statement. Some say other computer activities might affect the sound quality. I never heard a difference, but I don’t want to rule out others experiences or point of view.

2 Likes

All I can say is that I replaced my Mac mini with a Nucleus - used solely as the core, not as an endpoint - and the sound improved. Of course, I may have imagined the difference, but I had the Nucleus on loan from my dealer - with no obligation - and yet it was an easy decision not to give it back.

I find it hard to believe too.

1 Like

What was the audio path from your MAC Mini to where it was finally sent to an analog device?

I’d say no, moved mine from a Mac book pro to windows pc no difference, if it was dependant one network streaming server would sound different to the other, and why does music coming over a public network through multiple network switches and crap phone lines sound so good?

It’s all just packets of data.

2 Likes

Having my core run from a Mini, a MacBook, and a Nucleus, I can assure there may be a measurable difference (which I doubt) but there is no sonic difference. Bit perfect is the same on all three: perfect.

1 Like

If this is a question for me: Mac mini (now Nucleus) to dCS Network Bridge and on to Nagra Classic DAC.

By the way, I understand (and have a lot of sympathy for) the “bits are bits” argument, but , for instance, Nucleus to DAC via USB doesn’t sound as good as Nucleus via ethernet to Bridge and S/PDIF to DAC. If I had to quantify the difference between these two, I’d say it was subtle but more significant than that between a 24/96 uncompressed file and the same thing converted to a 320kbps file. All subjective, of course.

2 Likes

Thanks David appreciate the reply. I like the idea of the Nucleus left on with quick easy access to music and laptop used for laptop duties.

Thanks Mike

I just installed a Nucleus in my system with stock switching power supply. Sonically, it trounched a modified Mac Mini. If you want a better endorsement, Jason Victor Serinus, of Stereophile uses a Nucleus+ with linear power supply as his reference. Check out the 5/2020 issue.

2 Likes

Great stuff Leroy ill check this out thanks

2 Likes

Optimised fo better SQ surely though

I do not have a Nucleus but an intel NUC modded with fan-less akasa chassis running win10 stripped down by audiophile optimiser.
The difference to my previous Mac Mini running roon server is noticeable with more detail and generally quieter background.

1 Like

Hi Jonnie

Thanks for the reply any link to what you have as the Nucleus is pretty expensive and id look at the NUC instead.
Thanks
Sean

I switched my Roon Core from an iMac Pro to a Nucleus (long story), and while I’m not discerning enough to notice a sonic difference, there are definitely performance improvements (faster startup after I click “play”, fewer drop-outs, etc.)

1 Like

its a pretty pricy piece of kit if theres no SQ improvement. I run a MBP too at the moment I was hoping id get an improvement if I went over to a nucleus