Does upgrading NAS make a difference to Roon?

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Windows 10 Pro PC as Roon server, Roon version 1.7

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Synology 411 J NAS feeding DCS Network Bridge via ethernet

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

As above

Hi,

I’m thinking of upgrading my old 4 Bay NAS a newer version. This would then have a better processor, more RAM et cetera…
Does anyone think this would make an actual difference in playback? Finding tracks or albums is quick and there is no performance issue to speak of.
I would mainly be doing this to avoid hardware problems in the future when the old NAS might just fail due to age.
An additional question could be whether to upgrade the HDD’s or keep the existing ones. I was thinking of keeping the current ones because they are server rated discs and I’m running the NAS 24 x 7 anyway.

Thanks

Hi @Henning_Kielhorn,

You are using the NAS just as a storage location and not as a Core, correct? If it’s running just as a storage location, you wouldn’t really need to upgrade it, the Core specs would matter more for future-proofing the setup and I’d suggest having an SSD for where the Roon database is hosted.

You would need to upgrade the storage if you are seeing bottle-necks due to read/write speeds - for example if you start amassing DSD tracks in the future, you’ll want to make sure the storage can keep up with reading/writing these large files.

Thank you. It is indeed only running for storage and not as a core. My main worry is that it is getting old now. Nine years for a piece of hardware does seem ancient. I’ve checked the MTBF of my discs and they should not be a problem. I guess the saying never touch a running system should apply and I’ll let sleeping dogs lie…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.