Dolby Atmos Music is now available to Tidal HiFi subscribers

I have an Apple TV 4k with a free Apple Music account provided by Verizon Wireless. I rarely use it.

I use mine all the time for video and it works great for ATMOS with streaming video services. I would use it for audio with Roon if it can/could handle high res audio. Thing with ATMOS is it can be wrapped in a dolby digital plus stream or True HD stream…

1 Like

Hello Everyone,

Dolby Atmos content is only available to Tidal users running the Android Application. We have nothing to add or comment regarding Dolby Atmos support with Tidal at this time.

-John

Off topic but this is the problem with ATMOS on music services as of now. Amazon only streams ATMOS to a smart speaker and Tidal to the android phones. I want to listen to ATMOS on my home setup.

1 Like

This whole Atmos streaming thing is a joke really… Just another format set up to fail

Usually Roon is better at communicating than this :upside_down_face:

Roon support for Atmos was brought up and discussed here: Roon support for Atmos? Automatic For The People in Atmos!

The prevailing wisdom was that because RAAT only supports 7.1 PCM channels, the Atmos channels, which are encoded as meta-data, would have to be extracted from the meta-data and transported over RATT to the endpoint. RAAT would have to be redesigned to support either bitstream encoded data or additional channels.

It would be nice to know if this is in-fact the case. In either case a big change for a niche application at this point. I just hate being in that niche. :cry:

1 Like

Perhaps, but if you like REM: Automatic for the People, you should give the Atmos version a listen. It really is a very nice addition to an awesome album (IMHO)

3 Likes

Can you explain how you got it to play on your dell XPS laptop?

I mean the streaming side of Atmos, the information put out about how to use it is minimal and Google want you to stream it to a single speaker (the Echo Dot ??) ! Stupid…

2 Likes

Using the Microsoft Dolby Atmos app.

and you did stream it from Tidal? Would like to listen to some Atmos albums, but in my understanding it is only available on android.

I streamed Dolby Atmos Albums directly from Tidal. It sounded great, but I cannot guarantee I was hearing the actual Atmos mix, but I’m 99 percent certain I was.

Also give the 30th anniversary of INXS Kick a listen. Decent atmos mix. Nothing earth shattering like a well mixed Atmos movie but interesting nonetheless.

3 Likes

Thanks for the tip :+1:

Please do not present subjective opinion as fact. It’s not.

Atmos is different, not better and there is no other valid argument here. You may have a preference, a belief and an opinion regarding one system over the other, but you cannot present this as fact.

I think Porsche make the best drivers cars in the world, but that’s my opinion. I don’t go into motorcycle forums, tell them two wheels are stupid and that they should go try driving a Porsche instead.

It’s frankly rude, as is much of your choice of language.

Consider your tone when presenting “opinion” in the future.

It is not my opinion, it is a fact.
The 2 channel reproduction is inaccurate and problematic per se.

More reading is needed.

Try Dr Floyd Toole’s 3rd edition.

Minimum suggested setup is 5.1 and the “.1” needs to be at lest 2 subs, with 4 subs having superior response.

Again, these are not my opinion. :wink:

Do we really need all this to listen to music? MQA, Dolby Atmos and other similar stuff? isn’t this just an enhanced tone controls?
If anything we need a technology which will skip using air and ears so the music would be transmitted straight to the brain without any third party inferior elements.

I beg to differ. Multichannel is a flawed idea at best for music reproduction and liable to all kinds of mastering foibles. When we go listen to a live band, they’re in front of us, not all around us. When we sit at a concert, they’re in front of us, not all around us.

When I watch a solo artist playing in a bar, again, the sound is in front of me, not all around me.

What exactly are the rest of the channels doing? Given that a two channel system can perfectly present soundstage width, depth and placement in a plane in FRONT of the listener.

I don’t think I need to hear the sound of coughs, claps, and squeaky chairs from behind me, which is the only nonsense I think multichannel would be used for.

But what about the acoustic space I hear you cry. Yes, well funnily enough, most hifi systems sit inside rooms, and rooms have acoustic space. In fact by definition of being used in a confined space, all sound systems are surround.

I have absolutely no interest in hearing a sonic picture which places music around me, behind me, to the side of me or otherwise, as it’s simply not how anyone in the real world listens to music.

Lastly, multichannel music makes up what? less than 1% of available recordings on the market. Why on earth would you spend tens of thousands on a replay system only capable of being enjoyed <1% of the time.

Your “preference” is not a fact. Someone elses “Argument” for that preference is not a fact.

Multichannel audio, much like 3D TV’s will die a death like every other fad format. in 10 years your system will be utterly obsolete, a good 2 channel system will survive far beyond that.

3 Likes

No.
You don’t even need roon to listen to music.
1 small wireless speaker is enough. :slight_smile:

But there are better ways, only in terms of high fidelity, dynamic range, frequency response, etc.
High fidelity has nothing to do with how much you love or enjoy music. Many music lovers, true music lovers, enjoy music every day with a low fi audio source, even radio, an old turntable, cheap low fi speakers, etc.

High fidelity is another hobby. :wink:

Ok, that’s your opinion, it is quite clearly stated.

In terms of high fidelity, these are wrong, but you can enjoy music the way you prefer, of course.

Many people enjoy listening from valve amps, with so high THD and low dynamic range, that there is no meaning to talk about high fidelity, but this is what they prefer.

No need to argue.

1 Like