Domestic help killed Roon

Today my domestic help :broom: pulled the power plug on my ROCK NUC. It was not the first time this happened.
That first time I followed the hint Roon gave me: go to https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/error-message-there-was-an-issue-loading-your-database to solve this problem.
Unfortunately, this is the wrong solution. Doing so, I had to restore all my settings from a backup, what took a lot of time and hustle.

This time I went to the ROCK server web page and restarted the Roon Server. Half a minute later all was up and running again :slightly_smiling_face:.

3 Likes

This is how it should be.

Last night I was woken up by a terrible lightning storm when lightning stroke right outside my window. It sounded like a bomb had exploded, with the windows rattling… I ran to disconnect all my electrical equipment, but was too late… my Roon server which is still not connected to an UPS had shut down. I left everything disconnected and went back to sleep. This morning, nor the Roon server nor my fridge would switch on. Thankfully, after checking with a multimeter I found out that the mains voltage was hovering around 40V…

I connected everything to another circuit which was fine, and thankfully no damage was done… Of course, as always, Internet was down, because the ISP’s switches on the post outside were fried. So, this same morning these guys appeared and changed the connection to fibre. I am always surprised as to how efficient this ISP’s support works, here in a little rural Colombian town. Have this happen in a big city, say Bogotá or Medellín, and you will wait some days, having to call again and again. Here, they know me by name and, checking in at 8 am for work, they were at 9 am at my doorstep.

This is the SMART status of my NVMe boot drive:

=== START OF SMART DATA SECTION ===
SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED

SMART/Health Information (NVMe Log 0x02)
Critical Warning:                   0x00
Temperature:                        48 Celsius
Available Spare:                    100%
Available Spare Threshold:          10%
Percentage Used:                    2%
Data Units Read:                    3,057,366 [1.56 TB]
Data Units Written:                 21,642,189 [11.0 TB]
Host Read Commands:                 36,787,723
Host Write Commands:                156,928,679
Controller Busy Time:               1,008
Power Cycles:                       161
Power On Hours:                     2,446
Unsafe Shutdowns:                   129
Media and Data Integrity Errors:    0
Error Information Log Entries:      7
Warning  Comp. Temperature Time:    0
Critical Comp. Temperature Time:    0
Temperature Sensor 1:               48 Celsius
Temperature Sensor 2:               53 Celsius

129 ‘unsafe’ shutdowns due to power outages in a little more than two years. And yet, it is working fine. Roon is up and playing music. But yes, I know that I need to get immediately an UPS to connect the server, router and fibre modem. Don’t challenge good luck!

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.