Download the install file for roon 2.0 build 1141 or earlier? (followup thread)

In support request Download the install file for roon 2.0 build 1141 or earlier?, I asked the above question. @AMP closed it as solved, telling me that if I was running a later version, the earlier version would do me no good.

I would like the earlier installation files because I have a core running 1.8 production 1x with a database and backup that has not been updated, and I would like to be able to switch it between 1.8 production 1x and 2.0 (1141) or earlier in the future in situations where the internet is down and roon becomes unusable to play files from my local storage, so I may need to downgrade it back to 1.8 for a while.

So to repeat, since it would be useful for me in the scenario described and “do me good”,

Is it possible to download the install file for roon 2.0 build 1141 or earlier that is mentioned in this article?

Roon does not normally support versions other than the current version. Because Roon 2.0 requires internet, they made a one time exception and introduced Roon 1.8 Legacy. Any other versions are obsolete now. There was a six weeks window to install Roon 1.8 Legacy. I’m not sure it is available to install now.

1.8 Legacy is still available to download from this page:

However, @Jim_F is quite correct. Older builds (other than Early Access builds) are not available to download and install. If you want to switch between 1.8 Legacy and 2.0 (as it is now) you will need to maintain 2 databases.

There is no earlier files they cease to be available at the next update. So if you want 2.0 you are stuck on the latest version of it and can’t go back to 1.8 and keep your database and any changes. You can keep a backup of your last 1.8 db then copy it somewhere else as it will get overwritten on update. Users had a small window to use 2 before it moved to the new database and have the version installed that was still compatible and make a backup. There is now no way to do this they did give warning of this at the time as they don’t allow roll back. Roon has only left one old version ever available and that is 1.8 legacy because it’s the end of that version line and give people time to switch or stay on what will be a product that is end of life although should still function until there backend moves on so much they cannot.

I have a complete set of install media for 1.8.1151 and 2.0.1169 for all platforms but missed grabbing 2.0.1141 install files as I wasn’t an early 2.0 adopter. That leaves me with a database incompatibility issue when I’ll inevitably need to switch between them on my fallback core machine when 2.0 won’t run.

Regardless of things “not available to download and install” or “[ceasing] to be available”, roonlabs as a matter of course retains everything they’ve ever released and could make what I am asking for available.

Thus we have this support issue. Make sense to y’all now?

They could, but they don’t. It’s now Roon 2.0 or Roon 1.8 Legacy.

Sure, but they could. That’s what supporting your users is about.

You’re confusing Support with Feature Request. Roon is working for you as intended. If you want an additional feature (access to previous builds) that comes under Feature Requests. You’ll need to start a relevant thread.

Support is for assistance using software, which includes installing, uninstalling, upgrading, applying patches, and perhaps most importantly, reporting bugs so they can be fixed.

Feature requests are for changes to software.

I think you’re confusing a type of support request that you think doesn’t follow roonlab’s current support policies – access to previous builds – with a (feature) request to change those policies. I also suspect you’re not in the loop and have no idea if roonlabs provides previous builds upon request to customers or business partners.

It would make better use of your time and mine if you were to help out on some other support request.

Ok. I’m out. You’ve had your answer from multiple sources and now you can wait for your “official” answer that will confirm everything you’ve already been told.

Cheers! We can agree on that.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.