Connected Audio Devices

The NUC is connected to the main eero terminal via eithernet
Meridian Sooloos MC200 connected to eero satellite via eithernet
Roon controller via ipad pro 11 iOS 15.5
No issues with Tidal or Qobuz

Number of Tracks in Library

1000 +/-

Description of Issue

Roon stopped seeing my network share. All albums in my network folder were unavailable. In attempting to fix the issue I deleted the location and tried to reinstate it and now I get either an unexpected error message or an Invalid pathway message depending on how I type in the pathway. I probably have the wrong pathway and am looking for help figuring out the correct path. The music files are on a Sooloos MC200 hardrive. I’m not sure when the files became unavailable on Roon as a lot of the music I stream is through Tidal and Roon has always been seamless. As a test I can play the files through Meridian Control PC on my Windows laptop.

Hi @Keith_Glover1,

Thanks for your report. We have a known issue occurring with NTFS formatted drives. A temporary fix is to use a Windows machine to do a chkdsk /f on the drive. Alternatively, making a backup of the drive and formatting it to exFAT is another workaround. I had the same issue as you and migrating over to exFAT vs NTFS was my fix.

Let me know if you have any other issues after trying!

Wes

@Wes - is the issue with NTFS solely with Sooloos systems, or more general?

I hope you folks will find a fix for NTFS drives for my Nucleus +. Periodically, after adding new music to the drive, I have to scan the hard drive for Roon recognition of the drive.

Hi Wes,
The music drive is located within the MC200 not the NUC. I don’t mind removing the hard drive and doing a chkdsk but if I make a copy with a changed file system will that adversely affect the MC200 and the Control PC software that I use to rip CD’s?
Thank you,
Keith

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Roon Core Machine

Model NUC 7 i7
Linux
Ram: Corsair 8GB Module DDR4 2133MHz

Networking Gear & Setup Details

wifi is eero system / no VPN
Roon Optimized Core Kit
Roon Operating System:
Version 1.0 (build 254) production
Roon Server Software:
Version 2.0 (build 1148) production

Connected Audio Devices

The NUC is connected to the main eero terminal via eithernet
Roon controller via ipad pro 11 iOS 15.5
No issues with Tidal or Qobuz

Number of Tracks in Library

Not available

Description of Issue

I first posted about this issue on 11/19/22. Between the holidays, a family emergency, and work, I am just getting back to this now and the original post is closed. The issue is:

Roon stopped seeing my network share. My music library which is on the Meridian MC200 is unavailable. In attempting to fix the issue I deleted the location and tried to reinstate it and now I get either an unexpected error message or an Invalid pathway message depending on how I type in the pathway.

In the original post support mentioned an issue with NTSF. If I remember correctly I was told to try chkdsk or switch to exFAT.

Unfortunately, the MC200 has it’s own system and the hard drive cannot be read by windows, so that solution does not work. This is quite frustrating because Roon worked with the MC200 for years without any issues of this sort, now I cannot see my music library, only Tidal and Qobuz. The MC200 still works fine as a music endpoint but Roon no longer accepts it as a music server. Please Help!!!

@Keith_Glover1
I reopened your existing thread for you.
And I will ping @Wes to let him know you still have a problem.

3 Likes

Hi @Keith_Glover1,

I’m sorry you’re still having trouble. I will do my best to assist.

Can you clarify what you mean by the above quote? Do you know what filesystem it is? Also, are you saying Windows is unable to access \\192.168.7.31\music ?

Thanks,
Wes

Hi Wes,
The way that Windows sees the music folder on the harddrive in the MC200 is through Meridian’s own interface. There is a Meridian PC app called Control:PC or I can type 192.168.7.31 into a web browser such as Chrome and the Control:PC interface comes up in the browser. But if I physically take the harddrive out of the MC200 and attach it via usb to my computer, Windows can not read the drive. Apparently Meridian has a proprietary format system.

As long as I have had Roon (2018) it has been able to interface with the music files located on the MC200 harddrive via the path: 192.168.7.31/music/music2. That is the primary reason why I purchased Roon. Since approximately November, when I specifically went looking for an album I had ripped to the MC200, did I come to find out the Roon was no longer interfacing with it.

I hope this explains it better. Below is a photo of Control:PC as seen in Chrome.

Hi @Keith_Glover1,

Thank you for your reply. I am going to need to investigate this further. I’m aware of the unique relationship with Roon and Meridian and there may be something I need to be aware of. I will be back in touch Wednesday I believe. If you don’t hear from me, please ping me. I will see your name and come right on back!

Wes

Hi Wes, It has now been 27 days since our last correspondence and no word on how to regain Roon’s loss in functionality. There must be a way to regain it so I can see my music collection again. Based on how long my issue has gone unresolved it’s clear that Roon needs to issue support tickets. I first reported this issue in November and although I dropped the ball during the holidays and immediately after due to a death in my family, it is now April and still not a clue and barely a peep from Roon. It is very frustrating. Please help me resolve this issue. Loosing primary functionality that I have had since I started using Roon in 2018 makes no sense. Thank you.

Hi
I am paging @support for you again to try and raise their awareness of this still current issue.
I appreciate your patience so far.

Hey @Keith_Glover1,

After reviewing your screenshots, can you please test out flipping the slashes in your network share path?

From \ to / and let me know if the issue persists. :+1:

Hi Ben,
The problem still persists. Here are some screen shots.
Here is the original file path that worked for 4 years:

Here are the file paths I tried today with \ switched to /

Thank you,
Keith

Hey @Keith_Glover1,

Thanks for giving that a try. We’re seeing some really odd traces in your core diagnostics, here’s an example:

04/05 18:30:16 Debug: [roon/cifs] returned 32: mount error: Server abruptly closed the connection.
This can happen if the server does not support the SMB version you are trying to use.
The default SMB version recently changed from SMB1 to SMB2.1 and above. Try mounting with vers=1.0.
mount error(112): Host is down

I have some follow up questions:

• Can you smb to this folder using another program, outside of Roon?
  • If you remove the subfolder music2, are you able to connect?
  • Are you able to connect without either subfolder?

Hi Ben,
I have finally have had more time to troubleshoot and there are really no good answers to your questions.

• Can you smb to this folder using another program, outside of Roon?: At this point I can play the files that are no longer seen by Roon through Meridians Control app on PC and Ipad. Roon also sees the MC200 as an audio end point so this very perplexing.

• If you remove the subfolder music2, are you able to connect?: I cannot gain access to any of the folders outside the Meridian Control app. Unfortunately I do not remember how I gained access and set the folders up. I’ve racked my brain and do not seem to be able to do it now. Is it possible I originally set up the directories when I created the Roon Core on the Nuc? Is there an additional interface in the Roon Core that I’m not seeing when accessing the interface through the ip address in my browser?
    Thank you,
    Keith

Hey @Keith_Glover1,

Thanks for the follow-up. Our team was able to review diagnostics on your core, and we were able to see that the Sooloos device is not able to use the 2.1 SMB protocol required for Roon, and most likely cannot update to this protocol.

Therefore, we suggest using the below command from your Linux command line. This mounts the directory on the operating system level and then you point roon to that share instead of directly contacting via SMB v1:
/sbin/mount.cifs "//192.168.7.31/music" "/mnt/some_directory" -o guest,nounix,iocharset=utf8,user="Guest",domain="WORKGROUP",vers=1.0

The key here is to replace some_directory with what will be the name of the virtual share (path to your music) on the Operating System level. Then in Roon, add some_share (the path to your music files) as a watched directory.

Let me know if this helps, and if you’re able to access your library. :+1:

Hi Ben,
Thank you for the quick reply. At least I know there is a specific reason. Just out of curiosity, did Roon update to the 2.1 SMB protocol with a major update last year?

I don’t really understand this. Where is the Linux command line? On the NUC, in the ROCK software, or in Roon? I haven’t touched the NUC since setting it up as my core about 4 years ago.
Thank you,
Keith