Dropouts on good wifi network. Server related?

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Roon Core 1.7 Build 667 on Synology 418 Play (Not recommended by Roon but was working fine until now)

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Internet modem (router disabled)
TP-Link Deco 5 router connected by ethernet
TP-Link 8port switch
Netgear (non managed) 4 port swith connected to 8port switch by ethernet (new cat6 cable)
Synology server connected to Netgear switch by ethernet
Deco M5 hub connected by Mesh wifi to router
Bluesound Node2 and Powernode2 connected by ethernet (these work perfectly)
Bluesound Pulse Flex 2i connected to hub by wifi
See image below for visual setup:

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Node2 ethernet coaxial
Powernode2 ethernet
Pulse Flex 2i wifi

Description Of Issue

As posted some time ago, I have regular audio dropouts when streaming to my Pulse flex 2i when playing from Qobuz on Roon. I do not have this issue when playing with the bluesound app. I thought it was fixed by repositioning the speaker to the other side of my desk, but I clapped to soon. The issue remains, now even when working from home alone. The wife is out so nothing else is on the network.
Also, I have yet to find issues when streaming from my own library, which are all FLAC files. Therefore I think it’s not network bandwidth related but rather the ability to download the audio from Qobuz fast enough. So I did some monitoring:

The dropouts seem to happen when there is a big spike in download traffic. During play, the download hovers around 6-10 kb/s. When I hear a dropout, a spike follows of several MB’s per seconds on the Synology traffic widget (delayed with a few seconds? So the dropout is sooner than what the widget shows)
Also, CPU usage of the NAS always hovers around3-4% with small spikes of 11% or so, nothing strange.
The RAM usage though is constant at about 74% but stable. (I might plug in some extra to be on the safe side) Does anyone have a idea what could fix this?

Hi @Jkav,

Thanks for reaching out! Can you please confirm what the behavior is like if you try to temporarily host your Roon Core on the iMac instead?

• Create a Backup of your Roon database
  • Open Roon on the other PC you wish to try as the Core
  • Roon Settings -> General
  • Disconnect
  • On the “Choose your Core” screen, press “Use this PC”
  • If asked to Unauthorize, you can go ahead and do so. You are limited to one active Roon Core at a time but you are free to switch between them as often as you’d like.
  • Verify if the same behavior occurs on the different PC

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.