Dropouts using Roon, Qobuz and the Node 2

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

MacBook Pro; Catalina; newest Roon build

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Spectrum internet - 100+ Mbps - Ethernet connected to Node 2
Using Qobuz

I am experiencing occasional dropouts using Roon on my MacBook Pro when streaming Qobuz files. My endpoint is a Bluesound Node 2 which is directly wired to my network’s modem via Ethernet. My internet speed is 100+ Mbps. Is this something I just have to live with?

It seems to be a Roon problem, because I do not get any dropouts with the same Qobuz files using the BluOS controller.

Hi @Bill_Calhoun,

Thanks for the report and sorry to hear about the difficulties here.
Can I please ask you to perform this test?

• Try selecting your Core’s “System Output” zone (typically the laptop speakers)
  • Have no DSP active in this zone
  • Start playback of Qobuz content
  • Note the exact local time + date of when you notice the next issue (e.g. 3:28PM 11/22/19)

I can’t access the core’s (laptop’s) zone. Only my “living room” which is my Node shows as a selection.

I just figured how to enable it. So far no stutters.

But, it is down sampling the file to play it on my MacBook Pro. It’s supposed to be 176/24, but it is showing a green high quality dot with 3 different conversions.

Hi @Bill_Calhoun,

Thanks for confirming System Output has no issues. Can you let me know how your Core is connected to the network? Are you using WiFi or Ethernet? Are you on the latest BluOS firmware? You can check this in the BluOS App.

My core is connected wirelessly to the network. I believe that there were no issues with core audio as the MacBook needs to downsample the Qobuz file as macs can not play anything over 24/96. Music stutters with smaller files and the Node 2 as well. What is the significance of no issues using core audio?

And I am using the latest Bluesound firmware. Why would the BluOS controller not stutter when streaming to the Node 2?

Should I wire my Mac to the network modem via Ethernet?

Hi @Bill_Calhoun,

The BlueOS streaming implementation is different than the Roon streaming implementation, they do not use the same protocols.

Yes, please give this a try and let me know if changes anything.

I have a usb to Ethernet adapter coming in the mail on Sunday, so I will let you know how it goes.

1 Like

I am now wired via Ethernet from my Core (MacBook Pro) to my network and no stuttering so far.

1 Like

HI @Bill_Calhoun,

Thanks for the update here, glad to hear Ethernet connection helped with this issue!

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.