Dropouts when fetching time from NTP server [Resolved - Update to High Sierra]

Hi @Inner_ear ----- Thank you for the continued feedback and more importantly, thank you for your patience while we have been investigating this behavior you have reported to us.

Moving forward, while I might not be able comment on when this specific issue will be fixed, I can say that our devs have some done some work in this area and currently have elements that are being tested by our QA team. Once I have a better sense of the progress they’ve made, I will be sure to update you in a timely manor.

-Eric

Hi @Eric, I appreciate the update.

I have taken up the system time anomaly issue with Apple Support. Not too surprisingly, their initial suggestion was to remove Roon and see if the anomaly occurs. I was able to convince them I had no way to tell if the anomaly occurs without Roon logging. They also suggested booting in safe mode, but Roon will not run in safe mode. So far all we have verified is that the system time anomaly occurs both with Wi-Fi and wired Ethernet internet interfaces from my router to the Mac Mini.

Now that High Sierra (Mac OS 10.13) is out, I am sure I will need to update to that to continue working this with Apple support. Since High Sierra uses a new file system, I am guessing that once I go there it will be very difficult to go back. I will stay at Sierra (Mac OS 10.12.6) if you all think it will be helpful in future troubleshooting. Otherwise I’ll upgrade (assuming Roon is compatible). Who knows it might fix the problem.

Please keep me informed on any additional insights into this issue.

-Ron (aka Inner_ear)

1 Like

Hi @Eric

I wanted close the loop on this issue. At Apple Support’s suggestion, I updated my Mac Mini to Mac OS 10.13, High Sierra, 4 days ago and the time anomaly has not recurred. I have no explanation for why it happened in the first place. Nor do I know if it was some change in High Sierra that resolved it or simply installing the operating system. In any case I no longer have the system clock running several seconds fast and then getting corrected several minutes later. I am hopeful this anomaly does not return.

I really appreciate your log files. Without them I am sure I would not have been able to discover what was happening. The troubleshooting process has given me much greater confidence in Roon.

Thanks for your support,
-Ron (aka Inner_ear)

1 Like

Hi @Inner_ear ---- Thank you for the follow up and posting the observations you have made after updating OSX, as per the suggestion made by the tech over at Apple.

I am going to be closing this thread, but if the issue comes up again, drop me a PM and I will gladly re-open.

Happy listening!
-Eric