Dropouts with both streaming and local files

This was measured with just the iPhone connected to the repeater. Nothing else on the WiFi right now.

EDIT: I measured again while streaming from Qobuz to the audio device (ROONready connection). Same result.

This is not measuring internet connection, just the WiFi connection to the router.

Hi @Andreas_Melzer ,

Can you please try sending the audio stream to your System Output zone on the Mac and verify if you also see issues for this zone (Mac’s internal speakers)?

See your Lyngdorf is connected by Wifi. Maybe you should try Ethernet and see if this improves things.

I’ve no doubt ethernet would improve things - it’s full duplex and not competing with other devices or having to deal with interference or distance from access points in the way that wi-fi is.

1 Like

I am testing the Ethernet connection right now. I had always planned a wired connection anyway, but WiFi was the easy way to start, because there is no Ethernet in the room where the audio device is located. For now, I have to get it from the next room using a 25 ft patch cable (Cat5e). Not a long term solution, not sure how to do it. But so far no drop-outs (listening about 90 minutes)…

I normally run ethernet cables under floors or above ceilings, or via the loft (attic). I did have to run one cable above the ceiling, but the floor above had just been laid with new wood, so I fed the cable above the ceiling and cut small notches in the plasterboard where the cable had to cross the beams. A little filler, sanding and paint and there’s no sign the cable is there.

What type of cables should be used, especially for longer runs? I hope, I don’t need to upgrade to audiophile ethernet cables and regenerators and what not… My in-wall cabling is 20 years old (circa 2000). Maybe that is the reason, my LAN speed is only 100 Mbit/s? Much slower then my WiFi… but you were right: the repeater next to my audio device has a weak connection to the router.

@Andreas_Melzer I have sent you a PM.

Thank you, very helpful! I will answer later today.

Andreas,

I’m having the same audio dropout issues, and have been communicating with rebeka. After further investigation, it seems to be a RAAT issue with certain endpoints.

I’m having dropout issues (radio, Tidal & local library files) with the Devialet D250 PRO “Roon Ready”, which is my main 2Ch system. It starts around 5 to 10 mins into play, once it started, it keeps repeating randomly every few minutes, sometimes multiple dropouts within a song, which makes it unusable.

However, there seems to be no dropout issues with Meridian M218 and Devialet AIR endpoints which are on the same network. It’s strange since Devialet AIR input works on the same Devialet D250 PRO device, which seems to point to some issues with Roon 1.8 RAAT protocol with the Devialet Expert “Roon Ready” endpoint.

Best Regards.

Are you using ethernet or wifi? Since I switched to ethernet for testing at the end of last week, I didn’t have any dropouts. I did however do a complete reinstall of the Roon software and a factory reset on the Lyngdorf too, so it might not be ethernet instead of wifi that did the trick. We will see…

I’m using Ethernet, having dropout issues with both streaming (radio & Tidal) and local library files when I use the Devialet D250 PRO “Roon Ready” endpoint.

It’s obviously not a networking issue since Devialet AIR input has no issues with the same Devialet 250 Pro device.

Have you tried reinstalling Roon, or at least trashing it’s preferences files? As I mentioned, I did this prior to my ethernet test. Another thing to try is a factory reset of the Devialet. I’m not familiar with it, but it should be an easy procedure. I can’t be sure that this ‘restart’ has solved my dropout problems or will solve yours, but maybe it’s worth a try. I had clean playback over the last three days, but of cause, the problem may come back. It was exactly as you described.

Tried reinstalling Roon, rebooting Nucleus+ and restart Roon Server a couple of times, didn’t help. I’m not sure how to factory reset the Devialet.

There are other setup and endpoints having the dropout issues, Some suggested to disable jumbo frame or put a 10/100 switch in front of the Devialet which I don’t understand what it’s actually doing. My take is it’s some kind of RAAT issue that Roon needs to address.

The suggestion of the 10/100 switch makes me think… Maybe the reason I’m not having the problem since switching to Ethernet is simply that my network is limited to 10/100 at this time? My WiFi is much faster… I’m still investigating why that is the case, but maybe the lower bandwidth somehow is doing the trick? Of cause I don’t know the reason for this…

Seemes ds28 found the solution.

1 Like

Hi @Andreas_Melzer ,

Thanks for letting us know that issue does not occur on Ethernet, WiFi is a potentail source of dropouts, so it is good that you have eliminated this variable.

What kind of cable is it, is it a CAT5e cable or just CAT5? CAT5 cable is limited to 100Mbps speeds, typically it is listed on the cable what the rating is every few feet.

I never payed much attention to the cables I used. The LAN installation is over 20 years old. My research shows that the cables in the walls should indeed be good for gigabit ethernet. I found that some Cat5 patch cords are in use though, I will have to replace them with Cat5e or Cat6, then we will see, if speed is being improved. My understanding is that a 10/100 network connection should be fast enough for streaming audio anyway. Still working without problems right now.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 4 days. New replies are no longer allowed.