Dropping out during the first 4 seconds of a local track when moving from a TIDAL track

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
BOXNUC8i7BEH 8GB RAM
OS Drive : Samsung 250GB 970 EVO Plus M.2
Media Drive : Samsung SSD 860 1TB
OS Version : ROCK Version 1.0 build 227 stable
Roon Server 1.7 build 610 stable

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
Internet gateway and switch : Cisco RV042G V01, firmware v4.2.3.10
NETGEAR 16 port Ethernet switch, model GS316-100JPS, unmanaged switch
WAN port connects to ISP’s Ethernet cable for internet access
NUC that runs ROCK and ROON connects to one of the LAN ports
Mytek Brooklyn Bridge connects to one of the other LAN ports
Playback is via the network.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
Mytek Brooklyn Bridge over Ethernet for playback
Firmware 1.4.4 (latest)
Network module firmware 3.7.52 (latest)

Description Of Issue
Dropping out during the first 4 seconds of the local track when moving from a TIDAL track

To reproduce the issue

1. Configure Sample Rate Conversion
  • MAX PCM RATE
  • Filter: SMOOTH, LINEAR PHASE
  • Sigma-Delta Modulator: 7TH ORDER (CLANS)
  • SDM again Adjustment: 0DB
  • Parallelize Sigma-Delta Modulator: Yes
  • Enable Native DSD Processing: Yes
  • DSD to PCM Filter: Recommended (30kHz Low Pass Filter)
  • DSD to PCM Gain: +6dB
  1. Reboot ROCK
  2. Play one Tidal track (FLAC 16bit 44.1kHz), queue a local track (FLAC 16bit 44.1kHz)

When the TIDAL track finishes and moves on to the next local track, playback drops out within the first 4 seconds of the local track.

NO PROBLEMS when playing back WITHOUT Sample Rate Conversion.

Tried connecting ROCK and Mytek to another switch with the same results.

Thank you

Hello @Fifty_Forty_Roon,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for reaching out!

Can you confirm if this issue only occurs on the Mytek or does it occur when you apply sample rate conversion to other zones as well?

This appears to be a VPN router/switch, can you confirm if the other switch you used was managed or unmanaged?

Do you see any error messages appear in Roon?

1 Like

Greetings @noris

Thank you for looking into this

I have a few other iOS devices as zones, as none of these iOS devices support the same rate that I have not had tested the same. That leaves Mytek being the only device to have the issue. I can confirm that while I am typing I was able to reproduce the issue following the steps I described.

Correct, the Cisco is a VPN router/switch. The other switch I tested is a NETGEAR 16 port Ethernet switch, model GS316-100JPS, an unmanaged switch.

I do not recall seeing error messages on the ROON controller apps run on iPhone and iPad. I have a RoonServer_log.txt file and the pointer to the start of the dropout playback of the local (2nd) track in the log. I would like to share the file and the pointer with you in private for security. Please let me know who you would like that be addressed. I am happy to look for other info/errors where you would like to search for.

Thank you!

Hi @Fifty_Forty_Roon,

Yes, this would be helpful to have! I’ve sent you instructions on how to send it to me via private message.

Hello @Fifty_Forty_Roon,

Thanks again for sending those logs over! I have discussed your logs with our technical team and according to the information we see contained in the logs, it looks as if Roon is operating as expected, and the issue is occurring after the stream has left Roon and reached the device.

We have also tested the Mytek Bridge we have in the lab using the setting provided and we were unable to reproduce the behavior you described here. Have you by any chance reached out to Mytek support directly regarding this behavior? If you have not yet reached out, that would be my next suggestion.

This snippet from your logs may be helpful for Mytek support once you reach out, so I would include this as well:

09/23 12:33:15 Trace: [Mytek Brooklyn Bridge] [Enhanced 26.2x, 16/44 FLAC => 24/192] [100% buf] [PLAYING @ 0:06/4:39] 遺憾 - 許美靜
09/23 12:33:20 Trace: [Mytek Brooklyn Bridge] [zoneplayer/raat] sync Mytek Brooklyn Bridge: realtime=368209039999 rtt=1500us offset=-10557960us delta=-8us drift=-2882us in 365.07s (-7.894ppm, -28.420ms/hr)
09/23 12:33:20 Trace: [Mytek Brooklyn Bridge] [Enhanced 26.2x, 16/44 FLAC => 24/192] [100% buf] [PLAYING @ 0:11/4:39] 遺憾 - 許美靜
09/23 12:33:46 Trace: [Mytek Brooklyn Bridge] [Enhanced 26.2x, 16/44 FLAC => 24/192] [100% buf] [PLAYING @ 0:23/4:39] 遺憾 - 許美靜
09/23 12:33:52 Trace: [Mytek Brooklyn Bridge] [Enhanced 26.2x, 16/44 FLAC => 24/192] [100% buf] [PLAYING @ 0:24/4:39] 遺憾 - 許美靜
09/23 12:33:54 Trace: [Mytek Brooklyn Bridge] [zoneplayer/raat] sync Mytek Brooklyn Bridge: realtime=379328651000 rtt=1500us offset=-33968349us delta=-5040259us drift=-23413271us in 399.599s (-58591.916ppm, -210930.897ms/hr)
1 Like

Hello @noris, thank you for taking the logs with the team, much appreciated.

Noted.

Noted.

Ok, I will reach out to Mytek.

After reading your message, I have had spent some time downgrading firmware of my Brooklyn Bridge from 1.44 to 1.43,.42,.41,.40 and .30. I can say that I can reproduce the issue on version 1.44, .43 and .42. I decided to stick with 1.30 for now as this is the version I spent the most time testing and I have not been able to reproduce the issue so far with this version, I hope not :sweat_smile:

Thank you very much for these, I will.

2 Likes

Hi @noris, a quick update for you:

I made contact with Mytek support; the initial feedback is that they weren’t able to reproduce the issue, and had requested that I setup another ROON core on another computer for ruling out the issue might come from the exiting NUC box; I plan to do this over the coming weekend.

Before that, I have something might be interesting for you to know that I have had shared with Mytek. I did the same test however with NUC connecting to the Mytek over USB connection. I was unable to reproduce the issue with this configuration under the same test conditions.

Lastly, I would like to highlight that the issue, with Ethernet in the configuration, happens every time after ROCK is rebooted, and not sure I mentioned before, the issue will go away after playing a few more tracks, or if I toggle between NO rate conversion and with rate conversion.

Greetings @noris, another quick update

I have had setup another ROON core that runs on Windows 10. Interestingly, I was unable to reproduce the issue with this configuration. The Win10 on i7 laptop with wired Ethernet connection replaces the ROCK on NUC. The same tracks, the same rate conversion, the same test procedure. I captured the server log on Win10 that I will send you on a private message. Thanks to advise for updates.

1 Like

Hi @Fifty_Forty_Roon,

Thanks for testing on Windows further, this narrows the issue down to just occurring on ROCK via Ethernet.

I took at the windows log, but not much information there since everything is working as expected. As for next steps, lets see if a fresh database on ROCK reproduces this issue.

This test will temporarily set aside your database and start with factory default settings (and it’s easy to go back to the previous database):

• Create a Backup of ROCK database
  • Stop RoonServer from running in ROCK’s WebUI
  • Navigate to your Roon’s Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “RoonServer”
  • Rename the “RoonServer” folder to “RoonServer_old”
  • Restart the RoonServer in the WebUI to generate a new Roon database folder
  • Test for issue on fresh database
  • When testing is complete, repeat procedure but rename “RoonServer_old” back to “RoonServer”

Greetings @noris, I have had carried out the procedure, unfortunately that yields the same results. I have the server log when ROON was running on the new db, I will send it in the private message.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.