DSD 5.1 On the ROCK?

Hello ROON

Using this ROCK…NUC i5BNH > IFI DAC i NANO
Bought several DSD in 5.1 format…how do i play this trough the ROCK?
Ofcourse iv have the A/V to handle the format

Tia…

Hello @Morten_Valbjorn,

Are you trying to play the 5.1 DSD files to your iFi iDSD nano or to an A/V receiver? If you are trying to play to the iFi DAC, we will automatically convert the 5.1 DSD to 2.0 DSD for playback. If it is an A/V receiver, I will need more information to be able to tell you if things will work. What model is the A/V receiver?

-John

My A/V reciever is
ONKYO NR656…Decode DTS/ATMOS

Hello @Morten_Valbjorn,

Unfortunately, I do not believe you will be able to play DSD files to the Onkyo NR656 from a PC or Linux computer. Since there are no HDMI drivers on Windows or Linux that support native DSD, you have to use the DoP format for DSD on HDMI. As far as I can tell, the Onkyo will not decode a DoP formatted DSD stream via it’s HDMI inputs.

When you play a DSD file to the Onkyo via HDMI connection, Roon will automatically convert the stream to a high resolution multi-channel PCM stream. This should still provide excellent sound quality.

-John

Is the 5.1 DSD to 2.0 DSD for playback a direct conversion or does the DSD first get converted to PCM and then later back to DSD? Thanks.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.