DSD and high frequency playback on Cocktail Audio N15d

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

iMac retina 5k 27 inches, 2017
Intel core i5-7600 3.5 GHz, 16GB RAM.

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

WiFi router from internet provider (UPC Connect Box). iMac connected to the router via WiFi (reported speed 1300Mbps), N15d connected using an Ethernet cable on a 1Gb port.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Cocktail Audio N15d, connected with ethernet cable to the router.

Description Of Issue

In the device setup, I only see frequency up to 24/192 and no DSD support, but the device itself is able to play 32/384 and DSD up to DSD256. It works if I load the files in the internal hard drive on the N15d and I play them without Roon.
What can the problem be?

Thanks,
Francesco

A lot of network players (including my Teac NT-505) have different abilities depending on the input used. The spec sheet of the NT15D illustrates this by displaying two boxes for HD Audio, one limited to 192/24 and the other one 384/32. Also I notice the spec makes separate claims for FLAC and WAV compared to PCM. If you play an internally stored file or use USB you will get the full ability of this player. If you network it you get something less, though by no means bad.

Hi @Francesco,

Thank you for the report, I reached out to our hardware team and we’re looking into this issue.

Thanks Noris,

I forgot to mention some software release:
Roon: 1.6 (build 416) stable (64 bit)
N15d firmware: N15D-CA-1.0.0.r1454

This is what I see when I play a DSD256 from Roon is:

Francesco

Hi again,

I’ve investigated a bit in the N15d settings.
If Roon core is running, I see the Audio settings like:

But if I switch off Roon core the greyed-out options are enabled:

I changed the “Digital Out Volume” from Variable to Fixed, and, after restarting Roon, I see the DSD options in the device:

The problem with the max frequency remain though, with Max PCM 192kHz, DSD up to 128 and bit rate up to 24 bits, while the device supports 384kHz, 32 bits and DSD256.

If I now play a DSD64, the stream is Lossless:

But if I play a DSD128, it is downsampled to DSD128:

Any advice?

Thanks,
Francesco

Hello @Francesco,

Thank you for the clear instructions on how to reproduce this behavior. I’ve attached this information to the ticket and forwarded it to the QA team. I will be sure to update you when they’ve had a chance to take a look at this.

-John

Hi!
I experience the same problem with my cocktailaudio N15D.
Have you found a solution yet?

Thanks
Comporellon

Hello @Comporellon,

I recommend reaching out to Cocktail audio for support with this issue as it is a device specific bug. If they are unable to get the issue resolved they’ll have the ability to reach out to our technical team.

-John

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.