DSD ISO Support

@Physh360, this could help in the Playstation 3 SACD ripping project! Straight .ISO!

1 Like

Who cares if ISO does not support tagging. File tags, no matter what the format, are pretty much useless in Roon anyways.

3 Likes

How so? Why should I not tag? (I haven’t used them yet, but what’s the drawback? Thanks :smiley:

The ISO format itself does not support tagging, meaning you can not use some editor to tag it and then have that information displayed in a media player (unlike MP3 and FLAC for example).

Tagging would be done with a second file that carries the tags, placed next to the ISO or using references to Roon’s database with some smart algorithm that identifies the ISO using size, folder name, file name, track length + number of tracks, etc.

Right, Check out / Research how Roon handles Metadata. You will find your answer there.

[quote=“music, post:25, topic:1259”]
Tagging would be done with a second file that carries the tags
[/quote]
Yep, SideCar files. Not all players support them. So portability becomes an issue if changing to another player in the future.

Okay you can buy me a second NAS and drives to hold duplicate extracted DSF files. =)

Just voicing my request for .iso support, please! This is one of the only few features that are missing in Roon. Please, iso (particularly SACD and DVD-Audio) support.

3 Likes

+1 for ISOs . +10 for multichannel :smiley:

I have more Dvd-As than Sacds and way more concerts on dvd or bluray that deserve much more playback than they currently get . Would love Roon to develop into a solution for ALL my music . Listen to any of Steven Wilson’s 5.1 mixes ( eg. Jethro Tull ‘Aqualung’ , Yes and King Crimson catalogues or his own recent ’ Hand.Cannot.Erase’ album ) and tell me they don’t deserve a wider audience .

~M~

3 Likes

[quote=“Moonloop, post:30, topic:1259”]
+10 for multichannel[/quote]Ditto, there’s a large gap in this market and Roon would be perfect for multi-channel support.

+10 for multichannel. Some DVD-A but many SACD’s.

Pieter

For me SACD ISO support is essential and I will not consider Roon without iso support. I have a few hundred SACD ripped to ISO and I love the sound and music no these SACD’s. I currently use J.River which handles them beautifully.

Please reconsider iso support.

3 Likes

Another +1 for SACD ISO support. I have a large number of files and have created a nice directory structure for all my ISOs. As mentioned above, JRiver is able to input and handle these with ease. My hope are Roon will be able to as well.

T

1 Like

Good to see so many people looking for this functionality. Hopefully Roon takes that into consideration and decides to add ISO support in the near future.

1 Like

Yes I would like support. I have over a 1,000 ISO files ripped from a PS3 and it would be very time consuming to convert them all. I am looking into programs that will convert them.

One that I am evaluating is http://samplerateconverter.com/#faq. I think it is from Russia.

This program will convert it to DSF or directly to PCM at different sample rates. There is a fee and the most expensive option allows batch processing. There is a free trial period but it doesn’t include the batch processing feature. It takes about fifteen to twenty minutes to convert one ISO file to a Wav file. I converted a few to PCM and the sound is excellent using the Roon software. Then you have to download the covers from somewhere if you want them.

1 Like

Use ISO2DSF. Will rip an ISO to DSF in 1-3 minutes with MetaData embedded in each file. Here is a link to a post by Bogi and his program.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/how-do-you-store-dff-untagged-files-21780/index8.html#post368551

Sample Rate Converter is a nice program, but costly (IMO) for the higher functionality

1 Like

dshore, maybe good to tell this is a Windows only solution.

At the end of the day those are all solutions to a problem that can be easily fixed on the Roon side of things.

Why have many people with large ISO collections go through the hassle of converting all their ISO files, when there could be one developer going through the hassle once to enable ISO support for us.

I am not going to convert my files and others said the same thing. I would like to not have to switch between playback software but use Roon for all my needs.

I don’t understand why people keep suggesting converters, are you afraid that precious development time will be taken away from a feature you would like to see implemented?

There are many features I don’t care for, but I am happy to see that those features get implemented for other members of the community that would like to have them.

1 Like

@music You said, iso support is an problem “
that can be easily fixed on the Roon side of things.”

Well, I guess you missed the post higher in this thread that stated:

So not as “easily fixed” as you think. That doesn’t even bring up the process by which Roon makes album matches and handles meta-data .

Which brings me to your comment,

As a community, we are fee to voice our support for or against suggestions and I expect to be able to so without any attitude in the discussion. If you want to understand why other users have suggested the use of converters; then ask that question. But really, I think the answer is that others made helpful suggestions to those who may want to use Roon now and not wait until if/when such ISO functionality is added ; the suggested utilities can help make that happen.

But there are two questions really, 1. Should we add the feature and 2. When will the feature be implemented. As of now, in the thread there have been 12 users that wanted the functionality of whom 3 who have indicated (including you) that you would not do any conversion. Also, 4 users have asked for multi-channel support, 1 has asked for FLAC +cue and 2 have voiced dissenting opinions.

I don’t care IF the feature, which I’ll never use, gets added to Roon. But I do care WHEN the feature gets added to Roon. As of now, there are many more, imho, pressing issues that need “precious development time” first, like adding / fixing endpoint support, working on improving album recognition, increasing stability including fixing incompatibility issues with some AISO and hardware drivers and other, core issues.

6 Likes

You are right, I didn’t choose my wording carefully, it won’t be an easy feature to add.

I actually don’t care about WHEN the feature will be added as long as it’s on the list of things that will be added, happily waiting in line after things that would appeal to more users, like the ones you just mentioned.

3 Likes