DSD noise Issue in Moon 280D

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Intel NUC Core I7 With Roon 667
With 16GB RAM

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

All devices are connected via LAN
devices are:
- router TPLINK AC2600
- 1x Switch TPLINK
- 1 x Swtich Bonn 8N
- 2 x TPLink media converters

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Moon 280D DAC connected to the Boon 8N switch using CAT8 cable

The DAC then connect to a passive pre amp and then to a power amp

Description Of Issue

Hi All,

I’ve had this issue for quite some time, even on older build. The issue seems to happen randomly but always when it is shifting from a flac file to a DSD file. It also seems to happen with more frequency if i set a value on the device Resync Delay.

I get a noise, like a tuc… tuc…, tuc… sound on my speakers. If it try to stop it does not stop. The only way I can get it to stop the sound is by waiting about a minute or so and then choosing another file flac file to play.

Could you give me some help?

Filipe

Remove the pair of TP-Link media converters, and see if it still occurs.

Check whether the USB input (direct from NUC) behaves differently.

That was my previous set up, some 12 month ago and had the same issue back then. That is not the issue.

Hello @Filipe_Cunha,

There is an upcoming firmware update for the 280D that should address this issue. I recommend reaching out to Simaudio support for the latest information on this.

-John

1 Like

Hi John,

Apologies for the late reply but I’ve been testing my system and speaking with Simaudio.

Simaudio is unaware of the issue, and my 280D is with the latest firmware. During this time I’ve been comparing my roon setup with Simaudio App and I could not get the Simaudio App to reproduce the issue.

In this process, I also notice that the issue happened when my Roon DSD profile was on. Could you have a look at my DSD setup and check if you spot any bad setup?

Many thanks

Filipe

Disable Sample Rate Conversion.

Hello @Filipe_Cunha,

I’ve received the following message from the Simaudio team:

The update is planned for release on October 28th. Be advised, sometimes the update can not be seen in the app for a few hours or even days after the release.

Regarding the instructions on how to get the update for the client, you need to use the MOON MiND Controller app, click the Setting gear symbol in the top right corner and select his device.

In the “Firmware” section, he should see that the MOON 280D version is 1.21 and that 1.22 is available. Just click the “Update” button and the device will update itself.

-John

Hi John,

Seems it is scheduled for tomorrow. After tomorrows install I will test it and report back if all is ok.

This may take some some days.

Many thanks

Filipe

1 Like

Did you receive a firmware update for your 280d yet.Nothing on my end yet.

Hi,

I have not received any update yet, however the information I have from Simaudio is that this new firmware will not change the way the DAC processes the dsd files.

I’ve been making some changes on the DSD part of the DSP where:

• For the DSD files: kept the same bit rate (DSD64 =DSD64, DSD128 = DSD128…)
  • Set the Sigma Delta Modulation set it to: 5th Order.
  • DSD to PMC filer set it to: 30KHz lowpass filter

I’ve not had issues so far, more testing is needed, but so far it point to Roon DSP not being able to toggle files properly certain setups.

Filipe

Hi All,
The Firmware is now available, have you tested? Did it solve the issue?
When can I expect a solution?
Many thanks
Filipe

Hi All,

Need some answers and a solution for the issue I have!!!

Filipe

Hello @Filipe_Cunha,

Have you reached out to the Simaudio MOON support team? They will be best positioned to assist you with this issue.

-John

Thanks for solving the issue…

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.