DSD over PCM - stopped working

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Windows 10, 64bit, Roon 1.7 (build 528)

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Ethernet

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

USB. Questyle CMA Twelve - xCODE USB Audio 2.0

Description Of Issue

On my Mac (10.15.3).

I use DSD over PCM v1.0 (DoP). It worked fairly well during my evaluation and the weeks after. Every now and then it stopped producing sound. I switch a lot between audio outputs for video conferencing. Also I disconnect my laptop and reconnect etc. as I move around.

If a Roon restart did not help then I would restart my CMA Twelve. If nothing worked I rebooted my machine and alsways the DSD over PCM would start to work.

Now I’m in a state where I cannot get it to produce any sound. It works with Convert to PCM. When I switch it back to DSD over PCM it just gives me a hiss and the track plays but no sound.

I’ve tried
– fiddling with volume but still no music
– disable/enable the Device
– most settings of the Device
– restarted Roon
– restarted my Mac

Anything else I can do? I would love to setup the device again but can’t find a way to kind of reset it. Any help appreciated.

Try switching it all off then bring the DAC up first then the rest.

I turned my DAC off. Removed the USB cable of my DAC from my Mac. Closed down the Roon app on my Mac.

Then I connected the USB of the DAC back to my Mac. Then I turned on my DAC. Then I started up Roon. Then I started to play a song. I still get a hiss and not the song.

Worth a try but no cigar.

It could be that something is messing with the stream; try turning these things off (one at a time) and see if it works

1. Make sure you in Exclusive Mode
  2. All DSP
  3. Volume Leveling
  4. Set volume level to Fixed under the device.

@Toomas_Romer - I would start with @Rugby’s suggestions:

If the behavior is still the same after, I also suggest trying to use a different USB cable if you have one around. It may be an issue with the current USB cable it not having enough bandwidth for DoP transmission.

I played around with Volume levels and it did not improve. Then I changed back to over PCM and then back to DSD over PCM and I have music playing again in the desired mode.

The next time I encounter this I’ll try to be more attentive on which setting fiddling resets the system back to normal the quickest.

Thank you all for thinking along!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.