DSD Playback not correct. Instruments in the wrong place [Resolved]

I recently discovered to my delight that I can rip my few SACDs with my Oppo 103D.
I did so with an album titled “Ultimate Mancini”.
I put the 2-channel DSF files on my NAS.
Playing the “Peter Gunn theme”.
When playing this DSF file via the Oppo directly (DSD to PCM conversion) it sounds great just like the SACD.
When playing with Roon going into my Bluesound Node (also DSD to PCM conversion), it also sounds great and the same as through the Oppo. The Bluesound node is connected to a Benchmark DAC2 HGC with optical cable.

Today I got a Raspberry Pi3 to play around with. I installed DietPi and configured it and plugged it into the Benchmark DAC2 with USB. Playing the same file, the DAC recognizes it as DSD. At first I didn’t notice it but then going back and forth between playing the SACD disc directly from the Oppo and then the file via Roon and Raspberry Pi, I noticed that the instruments were in the wrong place. The opening drumming sequence should be left of center. With the Pi, it is dead center and so it doesn’t sound the same

Just to confirm, I dusted of my old Philips SACD player and plugged the analog out into my preamp. It also had the drumming left of center.

I’ve confirmed my playback settings are correct. The file is definitely 2-channel. I’m not sure what is causing the difference. I’ve tried DoP and Convert to PCM settings. There should be no downmixing as the file is only 2-channel but I also tried the Channel Mapping Only setting and it was the same.

It’s very strange. Anyone have any idea about this?

Thanks.

just for my understanding:

-You ripped your SACD to an iso? And then converted to .dsf

-It works fine as long as your DAC is connected directly to a source different than the Pi3

-When you play it via the Pi3 it is not converted, DSD played natively

-Your playback settings are for the Pi3 Roon Bridge

It all sounds weird. If you connect via USB then you are still delivering the digital data to the DAC to be processed. Correct ? The result should be the same.

Are there settings on the DAC you need to verify ?

-You ripped your SACD to an iso? And then converted to .dsf
Yes

-It works fine as long as your DAC is connected directly to a source different than the Pi3
No. I tried my laptop to the same DAC and playing with JRiver. It was the same as playing with the Pi3.

-When you play it via the Pi3 it is not converted, DSD played natively
Yes, DSD over PCM (DoP)

-Your playback settings are for the Pi3 Roon Bridge
Yes. DSP is disabled etc.

No, there are no settings on the DAC to set.
It is weird. There must be something different or I’m missing but I can’t tell what at the moment.

Something seems fishy in the iso -> dsf conversion, since JRiver can’t play it back correctly either. What software did you use to do it?

That Sonore ISO2DSD java tool. I converted it again and will replace the file and will try again.
Will also try a couple of other options.

If I understand correctly, you’re doing bit perfect DSD playback and you heard that the drum position is wrong.

Please try forcing DSD to PCM conversion (instead of using DoP), see if makes any difference.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.
This is pretty embarassing. A month or so ago I was cleaning up the cable mess behind my rack and I apparently switched the front left and right speakers! Never noticed it in all this time!
Putting the connection back and off course everything is good again.

5 Likes

hahaha, happens to the best of us :imp:

Brilliant. Thanks for the confession. You are in good company here I am sure.

Yup. But in my defense the connections were switched around on the pass through inputs of my Anthem Receiver which only gets used for movies and SACD playback. I didn’t play any SACDs until just now and I’ve only watched some older movies that aren’t very active in the front L and R channels!

But it’s still funny