DSD problem on MacOS

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

MacOS Catalina (10.15.3)

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

TEXT GOES HERE

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Mark Levinson 585 - USB connection

Description Of Issue

Hi, I’ve been using Roon for many years and I never had a problem since I decided to change my SSD on my MacBook Pro Retina. Since that Roon and other programs aren’t able to recognise my device, a Mark Levinson 585, as a DSD capable dac. I tought was a problem of my computer so I tried to use Roon on another Macintosh but unfortunately I noticed the same problem. I contacted Mark Levinson support and they told me that can’t be a DAC problem (it works fine with PCM files) but something else and invited me to contact you to solve the problem. Can you help me? Before my SSD substitution I was able to play DSD via DoP using my Mark Levinson device.

Best Regards
Valentino

Hi @lafit86,

Just to confirm, you’re seeing this on all applications on this machine?

Do you have another machine that you could temporarily connect this device to? Does the same problem occur when doing so?

Hi @dylan
yes I’m seeing this on all applications (Roon, Audirvana, Hq Player) installed on my MacBook Pro Retina and also my MacBook Air Retina. I can’t verify if I have the same problem using antother operating system like Windows for example, but on every MacOS Catalina I’m having trouble reproducing DSD via DoP. If I select this option all I hear from my speakers it’s a terrible noise, not music at all.

Factory reset (if possible) and power cycle your DAC. Also try a different USB cable.

Hi @wklie,
I tried the factory reset but nothing happened. I’ll try to reinstall the latest firmware version and to change the usb cable.

When it was working what OS version was the Mac?

Hi @wizardofoz,
I was using MacOS Catalina, I’ve just updated from 10.15.2 to 10.15.3 after the substitution of the SSD.

A little update, I tried to change USB cable with no improvement. After that I decided to delete and install again CmediaUSBDSD driver from Mark Levinson website but when I selected uninstall I had this answer: “CmediaUSBDSD driver is not installed”. I think at this point that there is a problem between MacOS and that driver. Is there the possibility to see where this kind of driver is installed on the operating system? Thank you.

Imgur

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.