DSD problem - Roon on Mac

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Mac mini (Late 2012)/macOS Mojave 10.14.4/Roon 1.6 (build 401) stable (64bit)

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

build-in ethernet

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

USB connected Pioneer A-70DA (Pioneer A-70DA A-50DA USB AUDIO - Onkyo & Pioneer Corporation; CoreAudio)

Description Of Issue

Unable to set up Roon for proper playback of DSD files.
DSD Playback Strategy available only: Convert to PCM/DoP/Initial dCS - none of them works good, no sound on Pioneer.
No Native DSD :frowning:
DAC of this ampli is able to play Quad-DSD (11,2MHz) and PCM 384kHz/32bit

I’ve tried to play via USB from Windows laptop and it worked properly with Native DSD in Roon, so I assume it only supports Native DSD.

How to set it up on Mac (Native DSD in Roon)? Where can I find exact instructions?

Thanks in advance

Your DAC might only support native under windows drivers.

That’s exactly what i think - my ampli needs Native DSD. My question is how to set up Native DSD in Roon on Mac. It’s possible on Windows, why this option is not available on Mac?

I’ve searched for it here but I can’t find exact instructions how to set it (there are some discussions on drivers for other DAC’s, but I think it’s Roon duty to output Native DSD).

MAC does not not do native DSD because most manufacturer’s do not supply MAC drivers. MAC built in only supports DSD via DoP. So if native DSD is what you want, then you should run Windows and use the manufacturer supplied drivers.

1 Like

Hi @ZesPre,

@Rugby’s explanations is correct here, not all DACs have DSD drivers available for OSX nor Linux.

You would need to contact Pioneer to see if they perhaps have any drivers available for OSX, but often times manufacturers do not create/provide these.

Thanks,
Noris

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.