DSD512 option not showing up as a choice in ROON

The i7 had trouble with a few of the filter combinations and DSD512. The i9 is much faster.

The sonicTransporter i9 has a similar price to the sonicTransporter i7 that’s why we don’t bother selling the i7 anymore.

The sonicTransporter i9 is a great solution for Roon and HQplayer. You can run them both at the same time and upsample to DSD512 including 7th order filters.

As in ASDM7EC filters?

Depends so much on the modulator. ASDM7EC is so much better than than simpler ASDM7 that I certainly prefer DSD256 with ASDM7EC over DSD512 with ASDM7. At the moment there’s no CPU on the market capable of running ASDM7EC at >= DSD512 in realtime. Even running it at DSD256 is so demanding that you need a really powerful CPU (or Apple’s M1 :wink: ) to run it.

Of course one can run ASDM7EC to DSD512 or DSD1024 with offline conversion, but it is quite a bit of extra hassle and storage space. And of course doesn’t work with streaming services.

Would an 8I7 NUC suffice for this task?

https://www.amazon.com/Intel-NUC-Mainstream-Kit-NUC8i7BEH/dp/B07GX69JQP/ref=sr_1_2?tag=roonlabs0b-20

I see quite a bit of mentioning of the latest M1. Is is as simple as installing Roon and HQ player and you’re good to go? Or, do I keep my Sonic Transporter I5 as it is running Roon and another unit like the M1 into the mix for Upsampling?

I don’t think Jussi was really suggesting you use an M1, see the wink, over a much more powerful machine. But, he can come and correct me if I misinterpret.

M1 actually works nice, but is not particularly “powerful” by objective means. However it’s performance properties make it probably best low power CPU for running HQPlayer DSP. I would say it is lowest TDP CPU to achieve ASDM7EC at DSD256. Just because it can very efficiently work in situation where challenging work is split between CPU cores.

This just imposes some limitations on possible filters, because the filters need to run on the remaining four high efficiency (low power) cores which are not particularly powerful.

deleted this…