DSF file playback and DSD up sampling causes an error [Fixed for B197+]

My system:

Roon Core on linux server
Roon Bridge on Windows 10
Roon remotes are iPhone, iPad & MacBook Pro
Music on Synology NAS
Exasound e28 DAC

If I enable up sampling to dsd in the DSP and set it to dsd64, the maximum the linux core haswell i7 can reliably cope with in multichannel mode. When I play back a pcm file all is well music plays as expected, both stereo and multichannel. However.

If I attempt to play back a dsd64 file, stereo or multichannel Roon can’t do it and displays an error message:

“Transport: Playback has failed due to an unexpected error communicating with audio device”

If I play back a dsd128 file it converts it to pcm and then back to dsd64, not a particularly sensible option I’d say. May be a bit of work to do to get the dsp engine to pass through dsd files untouched? In the meantime I’ll have to remember to disable the dsp first for such files.

Would you like a log file?

You should be able to play a DSD64 or higher file. My setup is similar to yours (but with Win10) and I can play 5.0 DSD256 files but I have no need for DSP with these unless I want to use DiracLive. To do that, there are two conversions (DSD-PCM, PCM downsampling) and channel remapping (5.0 to 5.1) but it works fine as 24/192 output to the e28.

First, try getting it without any processing. It took me a while to get the conversions figured out.

Thanks @weedos, I’ve made a note to take a look at this.

BTW, if you choose the “custom” option in DSP settings, you can configure sample rate conversions that leave DSD untouched if you want. Just have to choose where you want each format to end up.

Hi @weedos – I’d like to get a look at some logs from this failure.

Can you zip up two folders of logs for me, and upload them to Dropbox (or similar) right after you receive the “Transport: Playback has failed due to an unexpected error communicating with audio device” error message? You can just post the links in this thread.

The two folders I need are:

If you can zip those up and send me a Dropbox link, we’ll look into this. Alternatively, if you don’t have Dropbox, let us know and someone from @support will send you information about uploading the logs directly to us.

Thanks and sorry for the trouble here!

-Eric

I fixed this about 90 minutes ago :slight_smile:, but I don’t think Eric knew yet.

Sorry for the mixed messages. This will be resolved in the next build. Thanks for the report, @weedos.

1 Like

Thanks that was quick. I must say I don’t know how I missed the custom option… ho hum.