DSP hardware options

I have recently been thinking about DSP as a way to deal with Room acoustics. I know… better way would be to treat the room but unfortunately I have already tried. I would not like drastic changes to the room so I am trying DSP.

Roon DSP is great but I would like to combine additional sources such as my Apple TV and also a Sonos Connect.

MiniDSP is a great option that a few are already using including (I think) @Rene_Bouwmeester
Rene, I think you are using this and you are so far quite happy? Did you consider alternative options (hardware / software)?

What other options exist instead of the MiniDSP products?

Thanks

Just an FYI, I’ve also been investigating the MiniDSP products for running Dirac:

The stereo products for running Dirac are limited to 96/24 internal processing (and output) even though they accept a 192k input.

The 8-channel products accept 192k, but down-sample to 44.1 or 48k for processing before up-sampling again!

I was very disappointed, but MiniDSP support were very polite and open about the limitations of the embedded processor.

1 Like

Thanks for the great info joel. Are you aware of any better alternatives to MiniDSP?

No, unfortunately. I’m currently running Dirac Live in my Mac (at 176/192k), which is a stunningly good solution from an audio perspective. It has turned my small office from unlistenable into a completely viable listening space. However, ideally, I’d like to be able to run it outside of my Mac and virtual Core Audio drivers.

1 Like

That is what I have found as well in my brief search. There are products that incorporate Dirac Live (Arcam, DEQX) but the cost is considerable. On top of that, I suspect some of these will introduce a considerable audio delay in the chain. Roon can of course deal with that but If you want to use other sources (e.g. Apple TV or Sonos Connect) then this becomes problematic.

As far as I know the MiniDSP (without Dirac) introduces a much lower audio processing delay…

Perhaps A HTPC with Dirac Live installed is the best Roon + ‘AVR’ room corrected solution

Arcam, NAD and Emotiva incorporate DiracLive but DEQX uses its own, somewhat more complex, EQ software.
One can also use DiracLive software with ROON.

1 Like

Yup. Exactly what I do. Dirac simply presents itself as a Core Audio device.

So perhaps the most viable use case would be a HTPC with Dirac, serving as Roon End point (or even Core). All that would be needed is USB DAC + Amp

Hmmm…

I have a passively cooles NUC with Dirac Live for Roon , miniDSP for vinyl and Emotiva XMC-1 for all video in my Living room and also Dirac Live in my Mac Pro in the office. It makes wonders for the sound.

Would have been nice to only use the XMC-1 but it’s limited to 48k. The setup is a bit overly complicated and it’s possible I wouldn’t hear the any difference but it gives me peace of mind. :blush:

I was under the impression that this https://www.minidsp.com/products/dirac-series/ddrc-88d is true 192k. Is that incorrect?

And to answer your question: yes, I’m using a MiniDSP (DDRC-22D). All of the caveats mentioned by @joel apply, but as my Meridian speakers only take 96/24 input they don’t concern me. :slight_smile:

The MiniDSP has operated flawlessly in the year I’ve had it. Dirac has been a lifesaver for my room, straightening out an ugly hump and a nasty valley in the <180hZ region. Since it has three inputs, it corrects my video sources as well (TV, streaming, etc.). It can learn the codes of a few remotes, so I can control it with my Harmony remote from the couch. It can store 4 filters simultaneously – you can switch on the fly (very nice when finetuning the filters or when using different profiles (think music, movies, etc.)).

So yes – happy camper here (and not overly concerned about missing out on the 96k< ranges…).

1 Like