DSP Up-Sampling features in Roon 1.3

Hey guys, the DSP up-sampling features sounds dam good. Up-sampling Tidal/NAS from 16/44.1k to DSD64/128 sound awesome! :grinning:

5 Likes

I couldn’t adjust up-sampling settings, It’s grayed out, it won’t let me change it from compatibility mode. Am I missing something?

Need to check your ‘device settings’ and see if DSD playback is not grey out, otherwise you can only do PCM up-sampling.

This should be fun

When will 512 be coming…looking at the holo spring and the sonica…

Using the ha-1 looking good and sounding good too

Not sure on timeline for DSD512 yet…we’ll sort out the order of what’s coming next after the dust settles from this release. I don’t think it’s a big thing…just need to up the limit and see if anything breaks/underperforms then figure out what work needs to be done.

I have a T+A DAC-8 DSD sitting next to me that would probably benefit from it…been running it like this for the past month or two:

Thanks. I would also appreciate support for DSD512.

The DSP upsampling feature sounds great. Using PCM 352.8/384. With my DAC using DSD doesn’t sound as good as PCM, more muddy and the musical energy seems to get sucked out (same issue when using HQP)… great job Roon.

1 Like

Also, I assume that the “processing speed” indicator needs to be at least 1.0x to play without dropping out? If so, it appears that I could do several 352.8kHz streams simultaneously, but only a few DSD streams. It would be nice to be able to outsource DSP functions to separate machine(s), perhaps that are running Roon Bridge. I don’t know if this is possible today, or is something that is on the roadmap?

PCM to DSD512 up-sampling requires a lot of processing power from PC compared to PCM up-sampling. Mine can do reliably up to DSD128 from a 44.1k PCM source, anything above it I will experience some drop outs. I’m looking to increase the buffering and see whether it helps. So far everything is going great.

1 Like

Will Roon output upsample to DSD128 using DoP? My DAC has an Amanero board that does not do native DSD with Linux and Mac OS but it can accept DSD128 as DoP. I don’t see DSD as a pull-down option only the Custom, Compatibility, PCM and PCM power of 2 options.
Thanks

1 Like

Yes, same here. When you talk about adjusting the buffer size, are you talking about the setting in the playback tab of device setup, or something else?

Yes, I am upsampling to DSD128 encapsulated as DoP.

128 causes the processor (i5-6500) to be able to only push ~1.9X so its not got much overhead to jump to 512 … mind you its currently scanning the whole library at the same time, so lets see how that works with the Sonica that will take 256

that said at 64 its closer 2.8X and once the other library tasks get finished up. I have background analysis off at this time too.

at PCM max its up to 6.6X and I’m only playing one stream while all of this is going on. I did have one drop but not sure if that was a tidal streaming issue.

Any suggestions on how to access DSD as an output option? I’m using the Sonore Microrendu (Linux based) as the Roon Endpoint and that is connected to the Amanero USB board on my DAC (Lampizator).

@comedus06, yes Roon can do DSD128 in DoP mode. You may need to turn that on in the Device Setup screen for your DAC:

@wizardofoz we might need to do multi-core support to make 512 practical for many people. Or maybe just some performance work.

What I didn’t realize until I read the knowledge base article is that each stream uses a single CPU core for upsampling? That would explain why I can reliably upsample to DSD256 using HQPlayer but not with Roon.

@comedus06, Oh, I just saw that you’re using a microRendu. In that case, you need to turn on DoP support in their setup screen. Make your settings look like this:

@Driftwood, Yes, that’s currently the case. That’s something that we will almost certainly change in the future, but for rev 1 of DSP in Roon, keeping it to one core made things simpler.

It would also be great if not already possible to have multiple streams share a CPU if it is capable of handling both/all.