Running Roon ROCK image on Intel NUC NUC8i7BEH connected to my network via wired ethernet
Networking Gear & Setup Details
ASUS GT-AC5300 router, RT-AC68U AI-Mesh nodes for mesh (wi-fi) and TP-Link Gigabit managed switch. Music FLAC library located on Synology NAS connected via ethernet, streaming to HiFi gear via Sonore UltraRendu connected via Ethernet. (not using any Wifi in chain to Hifi except for iPad running Roon remote).
Connected Audio Devices
Main Hi-Fi gear (Naim Audio power amp, preamp, Chord Dave DAC, UltraRendu streamer)
Streamer connected to ethernet network (wired connection), and USB to Chord DAC
Multiple Chromecast devices connected to my TVs at home
Number of Tracks in Library
100,000 tracks accross 8000 albums (74000 tracks in FLAC/DSD content, rest in Qobuz and Tidal)
Description of Issue
Earlier I had no issues running Chromecasts in “Display” mode for Roon, however as of today I see this anomaly when accessing the “Display” section of the settings, many duplicates of Chromecast devices… And although I have multiple Chromecasts on my home network, I can only see one of them listed in all these duplicates.
I tried, when I first reboot the ROCK device (NUC) I can only see 2 Chromecast devices listed correctly, then a few minutes later one of these starts duplicating until I have countless instances of the same one…
Maybe this device is “hopping” between different access points or bands (2.4/5 GHz), sending a new service announcement after each successful connect. Try and see if you can troubleshoot in that direction. Maybe you can track the access points the ChromeCast connects to or something like that on your ASUS WiFi gear.
While 2 of my 3 ChromeCast are wired too, none of those is “wireless” as they are connected to WiFi bridges. I’m also pretty sure to never have seen settings in their configuration to enable wired network or disable WiFi - they are pretty much auto-configuring them self and thus may fall-back to use WiFi if something is wrong / not working on the USB to Ethernet adapter. As Rebeka wrote, Roon is just showing the ChromeCasts advertised on your network. The advertising is done by the ChromeCasts. So it looks like something is wrong with your ChromeCast specifically or your network. Have a read trough this older thread to get some ideas how you possibly can further troubleshoot your issue:
Yeah, I read that thread entirely, I am not sure where to find the DNS Reflector setting on the ROCK, unless this is something in the bios but I doubt it…
Also my Chromecast devices are the new Chromecast with Google TV model and they have a network setting menu from where you can choose between wired and WiFi, I disabled Wifi on the device to ensure it was not messing with things.
Such a setting doesn’t exist. If you have such a software, it runs somewhere else (router, firewall, ?NAS?).
All of them or just the one with issues (duplicate entries)? If you have more than one, you can probably swap them around – see if the issue wanders to another zone with the device (bad device) or affects only devices in that exact spot (bad network behavior).
So it is missing. Sadly I don’t know how to get it. It works on my Windows 7 and it worked on the other users PC. Maybe we have/had Apple products installed that came with it?
Well, I might have gotten somewhere with this puzzle after a few days of banging my head against the wall…
In my setup I used one of Google’s power adapters that include a built-in Ethernet port… The benefit of this approach for me was not having to rely on unstable Wi-Fi for Chromecast functions, and instead having that ethernet port connected directly to my access point via ethernet cable provided a much faster and more stable internet connectivity to Chromecast…
When I removed that Ethernet cable and had Chromecast connected only via Wi-Fi, the problem disappeared.
I actually removed the power adapter that I used to power the Chormecast and it fixed the issue, this power adapter had a built in Ethernet jack which for me was convenient as I preferred to have Chromecast connected via Ethernet… When I connected Chromecast to my network via Wi-Fi the problem never resurfaced so I assume it was this power adapter/network adapter that caused the issue.