Duplicates, Duplicates, Duplicates........Help!

Yeah, I don’t understand this.

Look, do this. Go to the Roon display of one of the duplicate albums. To the right of one of the tracks, click on the 3 vertical dots and then click on file info. Make note of where the file is located. Repeat on the other duplicate album.

What’s the result?

So if you’re telling Roon to watch both the iTunes media folders, and the /Volumes/Music Server folders, then when you rip a CD, and it gets placed into both locations (i.e. the same location in fact), presumably that immediately creates a duplicate album in Roon? Stop watching the iTunes folders in Roon…

Yeah, that’s what I was thinking, but I don’t know enough about iTunes rips to say for sure.
I’m not sure if iTunes library contains the music or if it’s like Roon and is only a library.

I suspect the latter, which doesn’t solve anything

It gets very confusing now. I pulled up one album that had 3 covers in Roon. When I click on a song from the first copy it shows that it follows the path of the iTunes library. However, this first copy only has 4 of 13 songs listed. When I go to the 2nd cover it shows the same path with just a few random songs. When i go to the 3rd cover, it shows all 13 songs going through the path of This Mac-Music Server. Confused yet:)?

Nope - Mark’s told iTunes to copy the files into the Music Server hierarchy of folders…

Nah - this is all because you’re confusing Roon with duplicate Watched folders - stop the watching of the iTunes folder. Then we can start cleaning up the mess. However, I’m off to bed now, I’ll be back tomorrow…

@Mark_Wexler —— Thank you for the follow up and my apologies for the delay here. A few things moving forward to try and get this situation sorted out for you.

These issues that you are experiencing are all related to the original storage configuration issues we discussed a month ago. To move forward, we need to address those issues and not have the same content added to your library twice, as this can cause Roon to lose track of information associated with files in your library.

So my very first suggestion to you is to please hold off on ripping albums just for the time being. The reason I am asking this is because based on your latest screenshot you have in fact been watching the same storage directory three different times.

/Music Server/

The other issue I have noticed here is where your backups are being stored. I see in post #23 you created some backups to the /Music Sever folder which is also containing all of your media. Now I am aware that others have asked you to make a backup of your DB but my question is where have you been saving your backups previously? To this directory or elsewhere? Have you been making regular backups generally speaking?

I’m confident we can address any new issues that arise once your storage is properly configured, but continuing to use Roon with improperly configured storage means these issues will persist, and edits and other information at Roon will continue to have the stability issues you’re describing here.

-Eric

It sounds like, for whatever reason, your iTunes rips are shit.

If you take out the iTunes reference, how close do you get to what you want?

Thank god. At least, we can stop flailing around about iTunes.

I’ll leave this to the professional.

Thanks Eric for jumping in here. Slim and Geoff have been attempting to solve this for me for the better part of today which I really appreciate. The snapshot below is the way in which I was originally told to set up iTunes sending all of the information to the Music Server (external hard drive). I have not touched these settings for years. I am certainly willing to configure this any way you direct me to in order to solve this problem. Im hoping that the information on my Music Server is accurate as that is where all of these albums have been ripped to (I hope). I will not be ripping anymore CDs until you let me know what I should do. Based on your suggestion, I am no longer watching both paths, just one. Here are some snapshots of the setup as it currently exists. Everytime I disable something, the album count totally changes. I thought I had it resolved but, I guess not. Anything you can do to help me salvage months of work will be much appreciated.

One last screenshot, my overview. As you can see it says I have over 3200 albums and I know that not to be true. My guess now is I have loaded 1375+ albums. Some are single albums and some are multiple album sets. But either way, a lot of the albums in the overview are hidden since I have tried to correct this situation manually.

Thanks Slim for hanging in there with me for the better part of the day!!! Very much appreciated. Same to you Geoff even though your sleeping now.:slight_smile:

1 Like

Eric, all backups are being made every 4 days. I haven’t changed any settings at this point other than your suggestion the other day to stop watching on 2 separate paths. Here is the back up screens, the last one made a few hours ago.

@Mark_Wexler —— The problem is not how iTunes was “setup” in Roon, the issue here is being caused by the fact that your iTunes “media location” is the same directory that you have also added as additional watch folders. In short, what is happening is that whenever you are ripping a new CD via iTunes the created files(s) are landing in /Music which is then seen by Roon three times:

Watch folder#1: Marks-Mac-Mini > Music server

Watch folder #2: Marks-Mac-Mini > Macintosh HD > Volumes > Music server

“Watch folder #3: iTunes integration

Ok, so based on your latest it does appear that you have been saving the backups in the same directory as your media. Here is what I would like to do…

Being as your Roon install is in this “delicate” state I want to make sure we take things one step at a time in dealing with this issue. So the very first thing I would like is to see what Roon looks like in a “fresh state”. This will give us an accurate reading on your album counts etc. Kindly perform the following:

1. It sounds like you have been keeping regular backups which is great but just to be safe please make a new backup before proceeding to the next steps.

2. Once your backup is done please close ALL active instances of Roon. The core machine, remotes, etc.

3. Now that Roon is completely inactive please remove your backups folder from the /Music Server folder and place it in another storage location that is not along side the media being watched by Roon.

4. After your backup folder has been removed we are going to have you test with a fresh Roon DB:

• Locate your Roon database (ie your “Roon” Folder) according to these instructions

• Rename the entire Roon folder to roon_old

• Relaunch Roon, sign in, and only add the following watch folder, nothing else (no TIDAL, iTunes, etc):

51%20PM

5. Please verify how items appear in your library while in this state.

-Eric

Eric, I just backed up about an hour ago. Do I need to backup again?

I’d say you are all good @Mark_Wexler :+1: Thanks for checking!

-Eric

Hi Eric;

Im to the last step. Please see snapshot and let me know if I should enable or disable Music Folder

Perfect @Mark_Wexler :ok_hand: Just hit “continue” and let Roon import your content.

-Eric

Wow, 1381 albums which is close enough for me. THANK YOU! Couple of questions:

1. Should I set up backup to This Mac-Music Server
  2. Should I enable Music Folder that was in the screen above.
  3. I do have a couple of metadata problems. Example : Sting Brand New Day…see snapshot of song listing which is obviously not right. Or should I just hide it and reload the disc.
  4. Any other settings that I should change, add, etc.
  5. When I load CDs should I just do as I have been doing through the iTunes interface
1 Like

Also, I shut my iPad down and now started it up again. When I launch Roon, it stays on Remote Connection, Waiting for Remote Core. How do I get the iPad to connect? Do I select a different core? Never had this problem before today