Dutch & Dutch 8c: pre-Roon Ready thread

sorry, did not want to destroy your dreams :wink:

2 Likes

Consider them expanded, not destroyed. The sad part is youā€™ve expanded them beyond my immediate means :wink:

2 Likes

thx! gonna test those i think.

Mains cables, as long as to spec, cannot and do not make any difference. Including those from Fraudioquest. Spend you money on something that will make a difference, like your room.

1 Like

You have extensive experience to back up a statement like this I presume? Not that I use cables like this myself, but people I trust do and claim good results.

1 Like

Why do you trust ā€œclaimsā€ from either side? You should trust only objective proof (instrument measurements and/or the statistically reliable DBT of listeners) or your own subjective assessment.

2 Likes

I donā€™t. I simply do not want to spend money on it. Have you done any DBT on cables?

Peter doesnā€™t think streamers make any difference either.

Nope. Never found any reason to do so and I do have a large and varied collection.

As a Dutch 8c owner,I consider that video cyberbullying :cry: . After watching the video, I did check out the Grimms and itā€™s all just too much. The price (the featured subwoofers alone cost as much the 8Cs), the set-up (the manual is an interesting read), the space requirements (impossible in my current place). Yes, the 8Cs are a compromise but it is nigh impossible to find something better at this price point. I just wish I could get them to sound better.

1 Like

Whatā€™s wrong? :cry:

Right now, other than the mid range Iā€™m just not impressed by the 8Cs yet. It might just be me needing to get used to them. As someone who buy studio monitors, there is this upgrade cycle that goes like this : excitement :fast_forward: disappointment (why does it sound so flat ) :fast_forward: adjustment (I can hear more detail now) :fast_forward: acceptance (these are the best speakers I have heard). I just put up some bass traps in the celling corners so maybe that will help.

Did you do the EQ correction for the bass range? Analogue or digital input? According to @J.D his new Genelecs have better (transparency in the) mid range than the 8C. So when you say mid range is what you like best with the 8C it suggests that setup may not be optimal yet.

Yes, I had to redo the EQ correction after putting up the bass traps. Martijn actually helped me remotely with the 1st time. The input is AES with yellowtec PUC lite. Iā€™m using the studio 8Cs but I doubt that is an issue. Iā€™m reminded of a quote from the movie First Reformed which so applies to audiophiles : How often we ask for genuine experience when all we really want is emotion Iā€™m sure thereā€™s more I can do to improve it, fill up my speaker stands, hire someone to proper acoustically treat the room.

1 Like

Have you had better sounding speakers in that room before? Could it be an acoustically challenging room?

AFAIK the 8C Studio is identical to the 8C apart from network streaming capabilities which is disabled or not present in 8C Studio.

Well my previous speakers in that room were the Hedd Type 20s, I just donā€™t feel that the 8Cs are such an qualitative leap at the moment. The room is small (3.8m x2.9m), other than a nasty peak around the 40hz range which is being corrected, nothing out of the ordinary.

This is correct.

1 Like

Hi Victor. The HEDD 20s are very good speakers. Although thereā€™s no way around the law of diminishing returns at higher price points, the 8cā€™s really should be a considerable step up. Iā€™ve never seen the movie First Reformed, but the quote you shared makes a lot of sense. In line with that, what I may be able to help you with is the actual sound thatā€™s produced in your room, but your experience and your opinion of that experience ultimately are entirely your own. Our main objective is for people to be delighted with their 8cā€™s, and weā€™re very happy that most people are. However, like with any other product the 8c is not the perfect speaker for everybody. Letā€™s get in touch and figure out what we can do to make you love your 8cā€™s.

8 Likes

Hi Martijn, I should probably have reserved judgement, it has only been a month with the speakers and I only listen to the 8Cs on the weekends. I am hesitant to take you up on your offer because I actually agree with you on the minimal use of EQ. I came into this hobby late in life and it was audio first music second. I have no idea how a snare drum or bass guitar is ā€œsupposedā€ to sound like. My own instinct is that I am better off learning to listen neutrally rather than adding my preferred ā€œhypeā€ to the speakers. I do not regret purchasing the 8Cs at all, the specifications were exactly what i wanted for the space i had. Perhaps my expectations had been built up by the enthusiasm people had for it.