Dutch & Dutch 8c: pre-Roon Ready thread

Nothing wrong. Just a minor improvement.

My 8cs arrived last week. Have tried them in a couple of spots. The room is challenging!

They are sounding great though. So far I have noticed much better soundstage and imaging, deeper and a lot more bass. It doesn’t sound like my Naim system which I have had for nearly 20 years. So still getting used to the change!

Tried REW but the results weren’t great. Just waiting on a spdif/aes transformer so I can use the SHD and will have a crack at DIRAC.

Will update with how it goes

Why the hell are you firing speakers at the ends of sofas and expecting good results?

2 Likes

Peter, I have limited options. This is currently the best compromise.

2 Likes

That placement seems sensible considering the challenging room. Maybe a little bit higher, if possible, to avoid midrange going directly into the sofas. And retry the REW adjustment in due course.

Here’s photos from the listening position and one straight on. I am thinking about moving them onto the fireplace hearth. But they might be too close together and it would make them 10 cm higher because if the hearth.

Have you tried toeing them in?

1 Like

Viewed from LP it actually looks OK. Mid will ‘see’ the sofa, but the driver is clearly above so that might not be too much of a problem. I agree the speakers may be too close if you move them to the fireplace front. Just try it to check. I’m actually more worried that the fireplace opening will create strangeness in the bass. If present, this will show up in REW measurements so you can ask D&D for assistance.

I haven’t - I will try that today.

I did a set of REW measurements. But have moved the speakers around a bit since then so will have another go. From the look of the measurements the coffee table is probably causing more problems than the sofas.

I have a MiniDSP SHD ready to hookup. I will run Dirac with them and hear how that sounds. Just waiting for a spdif to AES transformer to arrive (annoyingly ordered it from a New Zealand website - that turns out to ship from the UK - so who knows how long it will take :frowning: )

Also - they are sounding really really good! So really just seeing if I can optomise them :slight_smile:

Any news about the development of the Roon support for 8C? Are we going near or further away from that goal?

1 Like

It seems to be permanently just over the horizon.

1 Like

No news. The first real Roon related actual news you’ll hear from us will be that the 8c’s are Roon-Ready. Until that moment, no news. Sorry. But Roon-Ready really is just over the horizon.

5 Likes

Awesome Martijn !

Another 6 months roll by and still no roon… WTF is going on?

What a joke this whole issue is. I’ve parked the idea of buying 8c’s based on their appalling roon situation. Just over the horizon I’ve been reading now for what feels like a lifetime. It makes me worry that if I had an issue with the 8c’s it could take years to get a solution.

1 Like

No one should buy 8Cs or frankly any audiophile gear based on future promised functionality. It only can bring disappointment. And it does feel like a lifetime ago that Roon was imminent for the 8Cs.

1 Like

Well for me it’s been more than two years that this functionality has been just over the horizon, being one of the early adopters for these speakers. Don’t let the promised functionality get in the way of listening to or purchasing these speakers - they are amazing reproduction transducers for long term musical enjoyment…

1 Like

Absolutely agree . Plenty of ways to use ROON together with the 8Cs . A streamer in between works just fine.

Although, I understand the frustration. I had ROON on my 8Cs (beta tester). I don’t know when they will release it… but boy oh boy will you love it .

They are great speakers, easy to use with a streamer, and I have no doubt that @Martijn_Mensink is working very hard on the difficult problem of Roon streaming in stereo via ethernet. I understand why he can’t give a specific date. As someone who has owned a pair for a little more than two years I do find it a bit maddening that people have owned the speakers, had them set up with Roon beta, and sold them all within the time span I’ve owned them. I do wish that early adopters had been made Beta testers. But this aside the speakers are super and the company extremely responsive.

2 Likes