Dutch & Dutch 8c: pre-Roon Ready thread

Nathan, it does.

If you have the beta firmware. Which most people don’t have so it won’t work for most people. Unless I’m mistaken?

GraemeM, that is indeed what I mentioned yesterday. I think you have to have a beta-firmware version that supports Roon to be able to use rooDial.

That’s great news Jan.

I have ordered a surface dial and pi zero (which will work with my current setup). So it’s great that will work once the Roon integration is released.

In 2023…

1 Like

That soon :joy:

While waiting for the upcoming streaming features of the 8c, I went into the basement and pulled this old guy:

That’s a Pioneer PDR-05 that I bought new in 1995 or 96. It’s connected to my miniDSP SHD studio which I use as a digital pre-amp (volume control+input selection), and then to a pair of 8c, which does pretty much the rest of the work: DAC, amplification, room equalization… The Pionneer sounds pretty much like when it was new.

Apply Room correction to your DD8C . You are missing out A LOT .

Just my 2 cents :slight_smile:

You don’t need D&D beta firmware to be able to use RooDial and Roon, with the 8C’s, the dial (once set up as a Roon extension), can be selected to control any of the zones you currently have available in Roon. If your 8C’s are connected to a DAC/streamer visible to Roon the RooDial can control its volume.

Has anyone else perceived that on a rare occasion the 8Cs seem to go a bit flat? Hard to know if it’s real or perception. What I have found is that if I physically power cycle them they seem to return to normal. I wonder if it could be down to them being permanently left on.

Or is it all I’m my mind… :thinking:

I haven’t noticed anything like that here.

I haven’t experienced it either.

Do you leave yours on all the time or switch off between listening sessions?

I have the house to myself this weekend. Cranked the 8c’s right up last night - it was fantastic! I have walked the boundaries of our section while the volume is cranked and can’t hear it (lucky combination of brick house, and being by the sea). The level that these speakers can get to without falling apart and hardening in the treble is amazing!

I am very impressed.

5 Likes

Any updates on Roon integration? Just over the horizon still? :woozy_face:

Presumably, yes. As far as we know, we’re done on our end. We haven’t worked on Roon for quite some time now. However, it seems like Roon currently has a very long certification queue. Patience is bitter, but its fruit hopefully will be very sweet.

15 Likes

Awesome news!! Cant wait to get roon on these incredible speakers. :+1:

I don’t know if this is the issue you’re experiencing, but when my 8Cs are in “LED off” mode (the moon icon in lanspeaker) they play music but without the subwoofers active. They do end up sounding quite flat when I forget to turn the LED on.

When they start sounding flat maybe you could check the subwoofers to make sure they’re working properly - maybe a bug where the 8Cs are going into “LED off” mode by themselves?

(Also I would appreciate if any other 8C owners could try reproducing playing music in “LED off” mode to see if it’s a widespread issue or just mine acting up)

I have literally just placed mine into sleep whilst playing music - they go silent

Oops, I apologize, I used the wrong terminology. My 8C subwoofers disable when using the “LED off” mode (night mode?) when hitting the moon icon in lanspeaker. I forgot there was an actual sleep mode. I edited my post to avoid confusion.