Dutch & Dutch 8c: pre-Roon Ready thread

Which FW version do you have?

I’m using fw 1.5.45

Your manual on REW and 8c is superb. Concise and fluently written! But I am very curious: could I ask how 8c is placed in relations to front and side walls? And what’s the dimension of the room?

I asked since I noted you have huge peaks in the sub-bass region and serious (though narrow dips) after 100Hz …

I wonder if that particular 8c measurement was done when 8c were close to the front wall or farther away from the wall? 8c was claimed to be producing smooth experiences when close to the wall so your close to 20db peak around 65.9db is rather surprising to me …

Many thanks (I am considering 8c …)

Hi, not all peaks and dips are audible or need correcting…just saying!

1 Like

Correct, and some will sound worse if corrected. Deep and steep dips should usually not be corrected.

2 Likes

Hi Charles
Thanks for your comment on the guide. You are right that I have some fairly serious narrow peaks and valleys.

To answer your question my 8c were 25cm away from the back well and 80cm away from the side wall, but the narrow peaks and valleys are more related to the room than the position of the speaker in the room. The measurements were done is a room with hard and tick (30cm) concrete walls: good for sound insulation, not so good for standing waves. Any speaker will show the same behavior in this room and moving the speakers will only have a moderate effect on the room resonances.

With the 8c, one can at least do the equalization :slight_smile: And to be fair, the result is acoustically and perceptually very good. The measures show the acoustic facts. But at low frequencies our hearing has poorer resolution, so it is not unusual that it sounds better than it looks on the measures.

1 Like

Thanks for replying to me. I thought hard and thick concrete walls should be reflective and provide a strong reflection point for sub-bass. That is the best for 8c to operate. Perhaps I was wrong?

I think I am going to buy 8c soon. I really like its bass quality and amazing controlled directivity. I must place them farther out and see how I could tame them through REW and filters first.

The 8cs are designed to be placed close to the walls. You want them to be sonically coupled with the wall to increase bass output as they are designed to do. You want to address room correction with filters, not with speaker placement IMHO.

1 Like

Anyone know if there is a comparison out there between Dynaudio XD speakers (I own the 600XD) and the 8C’s? Or have any folks here compared the two?

I’m guessing the 8C’s are better in many respects, but would like to hear about how they compare.

1 Like

I’d be interested in that comparison as well, also own the Dynaudio XD’s connected to an Allo USBridge Sig/Digione Sig HAT. Used mostly for Roon and a good combination but the 8C’s are intriguing particularly when they release the Roon Ready firmware update which is rumored to be soon.

The closest 8C dealer to me is 125 miles so not easy to audition.

I wonder if the new firmware will drop tomorrow as shown on their web site. If so, do you think it will finally be Roon capable? One more month and I will have had mine a year. I just noticed it says July 1st but doesn’t specify a year. How’s that for cynicism?

1 Like

I’m at 1.4.44, just bought them 2 weeks ago with this firmware installed. No Roon though… Playing from a Cambridge Audio 851N AES/EBU out. Sounds great.

A bit of cynicism is in order. Roon was supposed to be done last year so who knows. I’m not holding my breath… would be happy to be surprised.

3 Likes

Yes, me too.

Hi - Room forum newbie here, though active on Naim community…

Considering a pair of these - still not clear to me - are they Roon-ready, or not?

If not, do they resample the incoming analogue audio and so potentially reduce the effect of a better upstream streamer and DAC, or does a better source sound better? Is there a typical price point at which external DACs start to make sense (e.g. am auditioning Bartok and Rossini’a at present, into ATC SCM50a’s)

Can they be clocked off an external clock that also drives the external streamer and doc for better coherence between processing?

All advice and comment welcomed…!

The 8Cs are not yet Roon ready although some in this forum have beta code that supports it but it’s not yet released. According to D&D new firmware that likely includes native Roon support was supposed to be released today but D&D have been wildly off on their schedules so who knows. Given this you’d need a endpoint to stream to the 8Cs via analog XLR or digital AES/EBU XLR. It’s recommended to let Roon upsample/downsample to 48K 24 Bit which is what the 8Cs internal DSP processes at. You also could let the 8Cs resample but many (me included) believe it sounds best if Roon resamples. It’s not recommended to have an endpoint feed analog as then you have the D/A of the endpoint and the A/D and D/A of the 8Cs which is a lot of conversions. In either case, you’d need an endpoint that supports whichever output you desire or you’d have to wait for the 8C firmware update that has native Roon. I have a Lumin U1 that feeds AES/EBU to the 8Cs and they sound fantastic.

BTW, if you’re wondering why the 8Cs DSPs run at 48K, this is from Martijn, their designer:

"Long story short, if the DACs and ADCs used are of high quality (as is the case in the 8c), going higher than 48 khz doesn’t make a lot of sense. In some situations in the production stage it does make sense, but not on the playback side. The DSP and DAC in the 8c are capable of handling 96 khz, but we chose the higher performance that comes with 48 khz. The reasons are that 1) the S/R ratio of the DAC is better at 48 khz than at 96 khz, and 2) the tweeter in the 8c has an aluminium/magnesium dome with a bell-resonance at about 28 khz, which doesn’t get excited when the DSP works at 48 khz. Resampling done well, is inaudible. It doesn’t really matter if you do it in Roon or the 8c. If you have content that has a higher sample rate than 192 khz, it’s probably best to do resampling in Roon, because the 8c does not accept audio files with a sample rate higher than 192 khz. "

Good luck with your decisions, they are fabulous speakers.

2 Likes

Disappointment, today 2nd July, no firmware update at all…

if you noticed there is no year mentioned on their site - must be 2021 :laughing:

1 Like

Hi there! I wrote to dutch & dutch and asked about the update and roon support. Here is Martijns answer:

Hi Roman. The update is ready, but not all the pieces are in place. It will be released very soon. However, this one won’t have Roon yet. This one will have REW-integration, RMS (release management system, which gives user much more control over which firmware version they’d like to install) and an update of the lanspeaker interface. The next update after this one will hopefully have Roon and a new app. I can’t tell you when that one will be released. One thing I can tell you is that we’re working on improving transparency about where we are wrt firmware updates. RMS will be a big step in that regard. - Martijn

3 Likes

It’s strange that Martijn can think that the release is ready when all the pieces are not in place. Schrodinger’s update?

1 Like