Dynaudio Connect

I am trialling Roon, latest version. I can successfully use Roon to transmit to all my Sonos connected rooms.

I am unable to broadcast to my reference system, and need some help please to understand why I can’t. I am NOT technically sophisticated, so comprehension is limited!

Roon Core is running on my iMac. My Roon remote is running on my an iPad Pro.
My NAS is an InnuOS Zen, which is on the network and also physically connected to my Dynaudio Connect transmitter via USB. The Connect then transmits to my Dynaudio Focus xd active speakers.

Roon Core clearly sees my NAS as the storage device for my music files and easily links them to my Sonos devices.

Roon appears to ‘see’ my Zen NAS as an AirPay device, and uses an IP address (I think that’s what it is) which is the link to the Logitech Media Server that is the interface for the InnuOS Zen NAS.

However, when I try to use that as the audio device for Roon, nothing happens.

I am successfully able to use Roon with Sonos. I am also successfully able to play to the Dynaudio system outside of Roon.

Reluctantly, I will have to abandon Roon if I am unable to resolve this. Roon is otherwise amazing. But, I am not very technical and unable to resolve this myself.

Thank you

@Thomas_Williams

Write your post starting with @support like i just did with your name…this will notify them quickly.

btw i have the xd200…

good luck…

What protocol are you expecting Roon to talk to your dynaudio components? I assume DLNA, if so it’s not supported.

It seems you may have to wait for the InnuOS to become Roon compatible-coming soon- they say.

.sjb

@support

Apologies for second post: I omitted the @support pre-fix.

I am trialling Roon, latest version. I can successfully use Roon to transmit to all my Sonos connected rooms.
I am unable to broadcast to my reference system, and need some help please to understand why I can’t. I am NOT technically sophisticated, so comprehension is limited!
Roon Core is running on my iMac. My Roon remote is running on my an iPad Pro.
My NAS is an InnuOS Zen, which is on the network and also physically connected to my Dynaudio Connect transmitter via USB. The Connect then transmits to my Dynaudio Focus xd active speakers.
Roon Core clearly sees my NAS as the storage device for my music files and easily links them to my Sonos devices.
Roon appears to ‘see’ my Zen NAS as an AirPay device, and uses an IP address (I think that’s what it is) which is the link to the Logitech Media Server that is the interface for the InnuOS Zen NAS.
However, when I try to use that as the audio device for Roon, nothing happens.
I am successfully able to use Roon with Sonos. I am also successfully able to play to the Dynaudio system outside of Roon.
Reluctantly, I will have to abandon Roon if I am unable to resolve this. Roon is otherwise amazing. But, I am not very technical and unable to resolve this myself.
Thank you

Hi @Thomas_Williams,

I’ve moved your duplicate post into your original topic, this is to keep all the history together so your get better support.

Did you get chance to read the replies, above?
Are you able to expand on the questions that where asked?

In the mean time is it possible to hook the Dynaudio Connect to your iMac via USB? In that configuration Roon should see it and be able to send audio to your Focus XD speakers.

Unfortunately, as it stands now there’s no Roon support for InnuOS.

Hello

Thank you very much for your response and to all those who have kindly replied.

I apologise for my rookie engagement with this community.

I have just spoken with InnuOS who inform me that their latest generation of Zen music servers are just being released as potential Roon Core devices.

This leaves me with the decision either to abandon Roon or purchase a new InnuOS at a further cost of $1500.

Once again, thank you all for you time.

Or as AMP says hookup the Dynaudio Connect to your iMac via usb…

1 Like

Thank you for your response

I fully understand that might be a solution. However, it is not a practical one within the configuration of my home, which is not Roon’s fault, of course!

So, for me, it’s either another InnuOS, or no Roon.

Thanks again :smile:

You could also try the Dynaudio connect usb attached to a roon endpoint such as a RPi running roon bridge…

1 Like

Hi all,

I have a similar question to the one posted in this thread so I thought i’d hijack and ask it here, as my kit and question is much the same (but things have moved on…)

I have a pair of Dynaudio Focus X60 which I drive (until yesterday) using a small NUC PC running roon core, and a Rasp Pi + Hifiberry DIGI. Sounds fabulous. My NUC got fried by a power outage so i’ve just ordered an Innuos zenmini MK2, which now supports Roon core and gives us a simple unified solution with ripping.

my question is - should I simply keep everything as it is with the Rasp/hifibery digi+ as a roon bridge on (cabled) ethernet, or should I look at getting the Dynaudio Connect and connect it via USB direct to the USB on the Innuos zenmini? Is there likely to be any advantage sonically in removing the bridge component?

I liked the idea of the Innuous zen/zenith which have two ethernet connections - one to create a connection just for a roon bridge device, but I didn’t really want to spend the extra cash. Is is possible to connect a pi/digi+ over USB to the Innous mini rather than over ethernet - any advantage/disadvantage in that.

I guess the real question when you peel it all back is what would be the best way to connect an Innous zenmini mk2 to a pair of XD60s running roon?

Chris

I would keep it just like you have it. USB can add issues.

Hey Chris,

I’ve been looking at the new Focus 60XD, although haven’t had a chance to hear them live. I did hear the Countour 60 and loved them, so no reason why I wouldn’t like the 60XD. I’m also thinking about the new ELAC Argo f51 towers. How do you like the 60XD’s? What do you like about em? Btw, what solution did you come up with for driving them via Roon?

1 Like

Definitely worth a listen - the Contour 60s are awesome although obviously it depends what you are driving them with. The 60XD have Dynaudio’s amps in them so you need to really like the sound as there is no upgrade path (other than software).

In my case I have a large room (5 m wide by 8 m long with a vaulted ceiling around 5 m high). My previous system was a classic Naim 250 power driving home made speakers using scanspeak units. It sounded great except I couldn’t seem to get a decent bottom end. I went looking for new speakers and just couldn’t find anything that would give me the upper/midrange clarity and sweetness that I had but with some room-filling low-end grunt. I tried new Naim powers and all sorts. In the end the 60XDs just worked for me - although it wasn’t until I flicked the switch on the back to drop the treble a bit that they really worked for me. The ability to balance each with the bass knob on the rear is a nice feature but I didn’t find it necessary in my room.

Apart from the sound, what I like is that I get big speakers and a happy wife as there are no other boxes!

I’m using an Innuos Zen MkII Music Server as my source which is running Roon server. Then I have a simple raspberry pi with hifiberry DIGI out running bridge feeding the Dynaudios. That’s it - nothing else. I Have just ordered
the Dynaudio hub but You don’t really need it unless you have a lot of inputs or want to play high bitrate stuff without a cable between the speakers.

One thing to note, I went looking for the 60XDs when they were released and there weren,t any in the UK so I got the company’s test pair of 600XDs - the previous model and an assurance that in fact, they are identical with the latest software updates. When it came to it, I got offered a very impressive so hunt around.

Chris

@Chris_Bartlett much appreciate the reply! Sorry it took me a while to get back to you. What you said is one of the reasons I’m thinking about the new ELAC’s, that they don’t have a DAC built in is appealing since that is where the technology seems to advance the most. And especially appreciate the advice regarding the $$ and 600’s vs 60XD’s. The one thing that keeps me thinking about these is the WAF, as she really would like the grey finish which is kind of rare.

Well I can sympathise about the DAC. I agonised about it myself for a long time as I was moving from a Chord DAC 32 to the Dynaudio solution and I’d had a long love affair with the Chord DAC. In the end I didn’t feel I was loosing out in sound quality when considering the system as a whole, and the ability to improve through software updates which have the ability to affect the sound quality won me over. I don’t think it was ever possible to update the DAC 32 without returning it to Chord (and even then, i’m not sure they did that. it was FPGA and I think the software is baked in). Best thing - get on to your dealer and get a pair to try.

That’s what I do and it works perfectly.

I know your post was from a while ago…but i am interested in your solution.

Could the Rpi be connected only through WiFi to the router and have this work well? and it seems the dynaudio Connect has coax and optical in. wouldn’t a digione have to be added to the Rpi?

As well as Toslink and coax inputs the Dynaudio Connect has USB input which one could try. As far as connecting via Wifi, whenever I have tried I get dropouts streaming Tidal. My locally based music stored on my Rock Roon Core seems fine. I run ethernet connected and only tried Wifi to see how it worked. YMMV.

1 Like