El Capitan Beta

Running Roon now on Windows 8 on the MacMini. Wow is it so much faster to scan the library. (maybe I will risk Windows 10 next)

There is something seriously wrong with the way MacOS browses NAS shares, which I think is the root cause of my library issues.

After testing El Capitan Apple seem to have done a good job at fixing those issues, but unfortunately we will need to wait for Roon to catch that up.

PS: in an earlier email I threatened to go back to Jriver 20 on El Capitan, which I did for 1 day before realising there is no contest. I could not go back to that interface with EOS remote. YUCK

Full Steam ahead Roon, get those dev’s working 24/7

It’s really no use testing against El Cap until the beta cycle has stabilized, which could be well into August or even September. As in previous cycles, core changes and last minute turnarounds will happen.

Roon devs have been working like madmen since release, ironing out kinks and adding new functionality. With iOS, headless and metadata editing around the corner, it would be a waste of resources chasing compatibility with a beta OS.

3 Likes

Whoever is running el capitan, please check your “font book.app”, and see if Arial font families are disabled. if so, enable and try Roon again.

let me know… we are fixing the Arial requirement, but it should make it work for now.

No help for me, I’m afraid.

My Arial font family is present and active, but Roon still hangs on start (just “bounces” for a couple of minutes and then stops). No messages in console, and once the icon stops bouncing, it’s still in hung state and must be forcibly stopped (“Force Quit”).

Same here, no problem with Arial fonts. However I do have other options so it’s not a big issue given that El Capitan is a Beta

ok, that clearly isnt it… we’ll have to take a look… itll be a quick thing im sure… the bigger issue is that every OSX seems to tweak the sound stuff a lot, breaking buffers and timings.

thanks…problem found.

the low level framework we use on osx needs to be updated. i’m sure this’ll happen before osx 10.11 is out for real.

hopefully next beta wont break more.

I have installed an update of the beta version of OSX (version 2) and now Roon works again on El Capitain Beta :smile:

3 Likes

Same result here…

Very strange, as we didn’t do anything, so maybe they reversed out of their change. Figures… beta OSX is truely the wild west.

Still not launching here (beta 4), but different symptoms: icon bounces only twice, application does not launch, but not in “not responding” state afterwards.

Excerpt from log:

7/23/15 11:25:25.470 PM launchservicesd[88]: SecTaskLoadEntitlements failed error=22
7/23/15 11:25:25.474 PM launchservicesd[88]: SecTaskLoadEntitlements failed error=22
7/23/15 11:25:25.547 PM com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: (com.roon.Roon.117152[1118]) Service exited with abnormal code: 1

@jhwalker, dont know how technical you are, but if you can open up the Terminal app on your mac and run this command, it will generate a log file on your desktop… could you email that to contact@roonlabs.com ?

Thanks for your help. If anyone else is having this issue on El Capitan, you can do the same and it’ll help me out. If you are running fine, don’t send me anything.

/Applications/Roon.app/Contents/MacOS/Roon -logtoconsole 2>&1 > ~/Desktop/roon-log-for-danny.txt

Log file sent as requested - thanks for taking a look!

@jhwalker thanks! your issue is actually resolved in development… the splash screen at the moment requires Arial, and it looks like you might have it disabled.

In our fixed code, we back off to the system font if you don’t have Arial, so this wouldn’t prevent you from starting up.

However, until that is released, I do have a fix for you:

Open FontBook, and look for Arial in your list of fonts… I bet it’s disabled. Just re-enable it and rerun Roon.

I actually tried that before and Arial shows up as “active” in Font Book. That said, Font Book is also broken in the latest beta :confused: so I can’t look again right now. I’ll look forward to the next build, but not sure how I’ll get it, since updates only seem to happen when the client is actually running :wink:

Just installed El Capitan Public Beta 2 and Roon Client is back to normal. My server machine is still running Yosemite so I can’t speak to that, but it should be okay. Previous versions of El C, Roon locked up on start and I had to reboot.

For the record, this is Mac OS 10.11 Beta (15A225f).

El Capitan Developer Preview Beta 5 “fixed” Font Book and I was able to re-enable Arial. Now Roon is back :smile:

Running Roon as a remote on several El Capitan dev machine no issues, eagerly awaiting Roon server so can run my headless Music Server without the GUI

my goodness guys… what makes you to run such early OS builds? I’m still on Mavericks because I can’t afford to not have anything work!

Is this on secondary machines?

I guess once we have a beta line of Roon, you wont have issues running it :slight_smile: I’d be too afraid that it’d mess up my music!

2 Likes

I am a developer so inevitably end up running a few Beta’s. OS X is very stable, El Capitan is performance update they haven’t changed much of the UI.

Normally run them on secondary’s, once they get to Beta 4 or 5 they are good to run on your main machine. Can’t believe you are still on Mavericks.