Eliahu Inbal / Tokyo Metropolitan Symphony Orchestra - Mahler 4 SACD


Definitely down!

I’m trying to identify an album I own. On the suggestion screen I scroll down.

then… try this way:

type “Eliahu Inbal” in the search field and hit “return”, you should be presented this screen:

click “Albums/View All” and …

now scroll horizontally :wink:

btw… as you can see in the first screenshot there’s an option for limiting search to local albums only

Just checked. I also have the same problem with the Mahler Symphony 3:


[Edit: Finally found 6, but only by typing Tokyo as well as Inbal. This has not helped find 3 though.]


Thank you but this isn’t the problem. Roon shows me the albums fine, but cannot identify them, despite them being available to them via their database.

oh… wait… you are trying to identify the album, not searching for it in your library!

then look on AllMusic (not MusicBrainz): if it’s not in there then Roon will not identify it :no_mouth:

MusicBrainz works fine with Roon.

ok, then… @support

and add in your OP you’re trying to identify the album, not searching for it in your library/online services :wink:

I think this is the wrong one but it is all quite a mess in roon.

Inbal did three Mahler 4’s. He did two for Exton with the Tokyo Metropolitan Symphony. This is an earlier version with Miwak Handa as the Soprano. The one the OP has is a later Mahler 4 with Maki Mori as the Soprano.

I don’t know if this will help but I have both versions from Qoboz. For some reason the OP’s Mahler 4 is associated with a Melodia recording with Galina Vishnevskaya as the Soprano.

I found the correct Mahler 4 by searching on Mahler 4 with Galina Vishnevskaya as the artist. Although you will get a match there seems to be a mash-up of recording dates and no recording venues etc, It will also be necessary to do an edit in roon to get the basic metadata right.

Edit: @dpstjp, I can see there was more information whilst I was posting. So the mess is worse than I thought. I hadn’t realised that the Musicbrainz posting was yours. So there seems to be quite a disconnect now with backend metadata. Not sure how that gets resolved.

1 Like

Tony, thank you.

The MusicBrainz metadata look correct to me. I haven’t edited anything for the Mahler 4 there. https://musicbrainz.org/release/01c6def4-641c-4693-81fa-104d9d61cd0a/edits

MusicBrainz don’t help as their style guide promotes confusion sometimes.

[Edit] Can’t get it to work using Galina Vishnevskaya. I get a different Exton cover:

That’s the Melodia cover of a Mahler 4 with the Moscow Philharmonic, David Oistrakh and Galina Vishnevskaya. It’s the one the Inbal is mixed up with. Roon thinks the Oistrkh and the Inbal are different editions of the same album.

Did you try the 2nd edition of the album? When I tried to identify I got this one and also the Inbal. I selected the Inbal, but TBH other than the cover and the track timings everything else was wrong anyway.

Thank you, Tony.

Neither looked right. Might be best to wait for @dylan or one of his colleagues to see whether they can unravel this a little before committing!

Strange. I just noticed that your version of that cover is Exton, SACD release. But for me it is Melodiya, CD release. There seems to be a mash-up of several albums, maybe differing depending on territory, and a lot of incomplete meta-data anyway.

1 Like

Hi @dpstjp,

It looks like we have information on this album, but it’s being falsely equivalenced with another album. I’ve created a ticket for our team to investigate further and I’ll be sure to let you know what they find.

For now, I’d recommend leaving this album unidentified until we are able to sort this out.


1 Like


Any news on this? Neither the Symphony 3 or the Symphony 4 are showing up correctly when I search for these.

I may be adding a few extras over the next few days as false equivalences are a problem in Roon particularly an issue.

It’s not a surprise as the way certain databases look at classical music encourages confusion in my mind.

Hi @dpstjp,

I confirmed with the team that a fix was made here and released very recently. The changes may not have made its way to your database just yet, but one thing to try for now is an auto re-identification of the album.

  1. Go to the album page
  2. Select the 3 dots option button and chose Edit
  3. Scroll down on the Album Options tab and choose Re-Identify Album

Let us know if this helps!

1 Like

Thanks @dylan.

I’ve just tried to re-identify both the Inbal/Tokyo Mahler 3 and Mahler 4 with no joy on either, I’m afraid.

It’s not much consolation but I can identify both of them (Qobuz).

1 Like

Let me play around with the key words again. Sometimes you need to do something really screwy to get it working with classical works.

Why the initial search (ie before you say “None of these” the first time) doesn’t sometimes show even the right artist is sometimes frustrating.

OK. It’s worked.

I typed “Mahler Inbal Tokyo” into the artist side of the manual search before i could get it to work.

I tried “Eliahu Inbal Tokyo” first which shows me virtually every other Mahler Symphony they’ve recorded but not the number I wanted, despite Mahler: Symphony 3 being in the album search!

Thank you all for your help.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.