Embarrassing Search Capability

It was just tongue and cheek David! That being said, I didn’t grow up with earbuds listening to my music.

Mine was also tongue in cheek, Oren. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@brian
Ouch! I was hopeful after your initial replies, but you’ve dashed in the hope.

Speaking as someone who has to do a lot of data analysis, I can confidently state that Google’s page rank might be considered revolutionary by some, but it fails to retrieve a hell of a lot of relevant results when looking for something specific. Same with Amazon’s search algorithm: this fails to retrieve even more relevant data. It’s a choice between speed and accuracy.

The whole complaint about the search function in Roon is based on the simple fact that it does not “know” what the search term actually is.

I don’t really get the reference to “a very popular thing”. One of the contributors to the thread gave an example that involved a momentarily popular song.

This is just one example. I don’t think I’ll be a big fan of a search where Roon decides what is relevant. When searching, it should be the user who decides what is relevant. When I want to search a specific track that is not in my local library, I want to find the specific track I am looking for, not a track that Roon decides to be what I should be looking for.

I’m a fan of the exploratory capabilities of Roon, but much of the time I just want to find exactly what I’m looking for.

I sincerely hope that this will become possible in the future because it really is a deal breaker. A few misses here and there are acceptable, but searching for track x by artist y should really yield track x by artist y.

I hope I misunderstood you.

1 Like

You might have to send Allmusic a email. I too had problems with Roon’s TIDAL integration [Artist cover art] I was told its Allmusics fault so reach out to them to fix it. This thread might get buried in Metadata purgatory with mine.

Thanks Brian, I am really looking forward to improved search and I understand many of the challenges you’ve laid out here and the journey you’d had to embark on. Congrats on these major fundamental changes you have made to your infrastructure.

I would be interested to know if your ML/DW solutions will then require search based requests to use your remote APIs or will search still work locally without an Internet connection? Or can it at least fall back to the crummy lucene based search if the Internet connection goes offline? Packaging a version of elastic search as part of a Roon install is probably never going to fly given the relatively low spec hardware most people run Roon Core on :slight_smile:

Sorry, I’m not interested in debating theories about how bad the product might be…it just doesn’t ever work out well. If you don’t like it after it is released, bring us feedback.

Yes, there’s a fallback.

1 Like

@brian
Neither am I. I’m more interested in trying out the changes. After all, there’s more than one way to skin a cat (now my cats are giving me the stink eye).

I don’t care how exactly Roon will retrieve search results, I only care that Roon does retrieve exact search results. Whether this is by way of a context aware model or by way of a crystal ball is irrelevant.

However, I do hope you will take my plea for accuracy in a future search functionality into account. Or maybe you already have.

2 Likes

@brian Thanks for the detailed response. I can appreciate bigger user-facing releases take time and shouldn’t be expected to always follow the same release cadence of backend services. I look forward to 2019 and another great year of Roon (old and new)!!

Cheers! :beers:

5 posts were merged into an existing topic: How do I easily create a playlist of a self composed album / folder

After 1.6 is search really better? You still need to type track names near perfect to find them. I’m still going to YouTube and google to find friends music they want to hear.

@support keep the search improvements on the enhancement list.

They are so much better. I mean really…

1 Like

Search The Border and let me know if you find the song by America.
Not for me. It didn’t even give me what I asked for.

If you spell it correctly and know the artist as well it will return.

I didn’t say it was perfect i was reacting to “is search really better?” When i put in The Border it showed me the album of that name i use more by Ry Cooder rather than the eagles - that’s definitely better for me.
Fuzzy search isn’t very good yet and i get your point about The America track being not there. But, if i were using any search engine and knew more details to narrow the search down i add them as a matter of course. If you add America…
As i said not perfect, but for me, much better. No longer what the title of the thread says.

Actually, four versions are shown in the track list; but there’s a long list of tracks that contain the words “the border”, so filtering on America certainly helps…

I see it further down but in my head if i am looking for The Border then tracks that actually have that string in them should be higher up the list not tracks that are popular and just have the word Border in them. I think that is a bit broken TBH.

Yeah, the ranking of results could indeed be better…

1 Like

While not the last word in search capabilities, I want to show you the difference in experience from 1.5 to 1.6.

You may remember my example search for Castle on the Hill. This was the v1.5 result:

I went on to say that the “original” Castle was 50th on the list.

Okay, here’s 1.6:

Oh, er, that’s not the good stuff. Next slide. Quickly please!

Boom! The “correct” one it right where it should be.

We can and will argue all day long about the UI of this particular page (it suffers when the search isn’t for people IMO)

But the algorithm has improved. Way to go.

4 Likes

BTW I meant to say good cover with the “my granddaughter was searching” :joy:

SNL passed up by in the UK.

Well since you were the primary audience, it comes down!

Sniff.