Embedded lyrics ignored even when no Roon lyrics found

I’ve been lurking on the form for a while thinking about when to pull the plug on my LMS 7.9 server. I was going to hold off until the iPhone app, RoonSpeakers and Roon certified endpoints were released, but after rebuild on my media server with Windows 10-1511 over the weekend I’m now a fully paid up Roon subscriber.

I have a number of questions/comments,the first relates to lyrics. I have about 40,000 tracks in FLAC, and every track with words has the correct lyrics embedded in the lyrics id-tag. This worked great with LMS and iPeng. I know Roon would have saved me some time as it finds lyrics for many tracks, but when it fails to find lyrics it gives up. I believe that it should look at the id-tag of the file and use the embedded lyrics in this case. There is a strong argument for saying that it should always use the embedded lyrics and only search externally if there are no lyrics embedded.

Here is an example from a recent Mark Knopfler album

And here are the lyrics metadata embedded in the FLAC file

3 Likes

Hey @Seamus – we don’t currently display embedded lyrics from your tags in Roon, but this is a great request. We’ve opened a ticket internally to get this done, so look for it in a future release!

Thanks!

Hi, is this still in the works?

Yes, still coming but our next release is more focused on audio. This will likely come a little later in the year with our next major release, which will be focused on metadata and editing.

4 Likes

This is a feature that would be fantastic to have so please be sure to add it to Roon!

2 Likes

I strongly support this feature - as I do with other metadata from files (e.g. “PERIOD”). Customizable metadata Import would be great!

3 Likes

Almost a year further from Roon/Mike saying a ticket has been opened. Any hints when this feature will be embedded because I support Seamus’ request

2 Likes

I’d still love the feature.

1 Like

Quite agree. It’s been a while now.

Anyone? Beuller?

Please give us the possibility to add lyrics manually! Is this feature a ‘‘work in progress’’?

Thanks

3 Likes

Any news about this feature?
I would love it as well!

YES, i want embedded lyrics

Woo, I’ve wasted one hour to find out, why Roon does not display all lyrics. I’ve to learn to search in the forum first. :smiley: I hope this basic feature will be added soon.

1 Like

Still nothing? Just a question…do you plan to implement lyrics from tags or an option inside Roon to add manually the lyrics?

I would prefer the second because it will be painful to operate on single files…it’s much easier to play with Roon interface…

1 Like

Being from a country with only 5.5 mill people speaking the language, almost none of the local artists tracks has lyrics.
So a way to manually insert lyrics would be…amazing

3 Likes

Any update?, it would be amazing to have a way to put custom lyrics, every time I want to share a part of a song the lyrics are missing or wrong. That’s really frustrating considering that it’s easy to find the correct lyrics. I think just putting a text box where we can paste the lyrics and it gets stored somewhere would be amazing and doesn’t seem too hard to do.

1 Like

As Apple Music will get lyrics search in the future, I think it’s time to overhaul the lyrics feature in Roon. :wink:

1 Like

This thread has been active since the end of 2015 and there seems to be no progress at all …

Could there possibly be another way to implement this? Since to me it seems such a simple task (just point to the internal tag instead of Lyrics.com or the like), maybe it can be done some other way?

MInd you - I do not really know what I am talking about, but could there possibly be a way for someone to write an extension that does just this?
I would gladly pay 50 Dollars for this feature. Maybe someone else wants to pitch in as well and thus create an incentive for a programmer to do that?

Or am I just being stupid and this could never work because extensions are something else entirely …?

@Mike: this is still close to the top of my wish list. It could be implemented with no UI: use embedded lyrics if present in preference to searching the web for lyrics.

1 Like